Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if this is a good idea or not?

I live in Canada...so my bike will sit for a few months at a time due to the cold weather....would a battery tender be the thing to get?

I dont want to disconnect the battery all the time...any help would be great.

laura

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
I have a battery tender (Jr) and am happy I have it. If your bike is sitting for any length of time, it doesn't hurt. The nice thing with the Battery Tender is that it doesn't overjuice your battery... rather it checks your battery and automatically slows down the current when its good. I think its easy to use and the Junior works well and didn't cost me much. It certainly will give you piece of mind if your bike is parked for a while.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I have one on my bike, lawnmower, quad, streetrod etc.etc.etc. My bike is an 01' and the battery is going strong. I like the battery tender that comes with a lead that you attach directly to the battery terminal and has a pig tail that sticks out under the seat that I can hook into without the hassle of taking the seat off and on. The "battery tender jr." doesn't over charge the battery it gets it to full and then floats the current so that it won't run them dry.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
where is the best place to buy these at?

I like the idea of having the tail stick out..so you dont have to remove the seat.

·
The Widows Son
9,126 Posts
I keep mine hooked up all the time; it charges as necessary and then just floats to keep it maintained. It seems to be universally recommended so I would say go for it!

·
The Widows Son
9,126 Posts
where is the best place to buy these at?

I like the idea of having the tail stick out..so you dont have to remove the seat.
I like phatperformanceparts but they aren't in Canada so you might have to end up paying all sorts of outlandish fees. Down by me, most powersports stores stock them, perhaps you have some dealers close by you could check with?

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts

·
Missy Peregrym's #1 fan!
7,792 Posts
I also have the batter tender jr. seems to work great.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
The only thing lacking in the Jr is temperature compensation.
The Plus has it. I'm not a big fan of leaving batteries hooked to chargers unattended, but I would never leave one connected to a charger without temperature compensation.

·
Registered
88 Posts
It's a GREAT idea...these trickle chargers/tenders are sometimes also referred to as battery 'conditioners'.

If a battery goes completely dead, and stays that way for even a short period of time (a week or so), chances are it is going to NOT hold a good charge in the near future.

I recently bought a new Schumacher that is computer controlled. It consatanly monitors and adjusts (It won't even put out any voltage unless it is hooked up to a battery - not just some device that uses 12v!) constantly. Got it from WallyWorld...IIRC it was about $40.
Harbor Freight/Northern also have decent imports...I keep one on my 928 (These cars are notorius for having too high of a draw when off...they can kill a DieHard in a couple of months!) and have had not problems - even with extended periods of time of no use - like when have the car is dismantled for a major repair...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
canadian tire does seem to have a little of everything.
I will check it out.
thanx for the help everyone!

·
Retired High Miler
1,209 Posts
Canadian tire has everything..
I get my kitchen cellophane wrap there in 1000ft. rolls, only have to buy once a year. he he
Barry

·
NXT Wax Inhaler
822 Posts
The only thing lacking in the Jr is temperature compensation.
The Plus has it. I'm not a big fan of leaving batteries hooked to chargers unattended, but I would never leave one connected to a charger without temperature compensation.
Rich, is this more of a problem when it's hot outside? I would think at the other end of the spectrum the freezing point of a fully charged, or even 90% charged battery, would be well into the minus F arena.

I've been hooking up my Jr. whenever I'm done with a ride for the last month and leaving it on. I only get to ride maybe once a week, and make sure it's at least an hour, if the temps are 40 or above on the weekend. Otherwise it may be two weeks--or three if the weather gets real bad. But it's usually at least once every other week. I don't believe it gets to or much below the freezing point in my unheated, attached garage. But I've never checked for sure.

·
Registered
199 Posts
does the battery tender charge already semi dead batteries, i jus got my 06 ZX10 last yr brand new and i been starting her up, but i was gunna take her for a spin this weekend and the battery wont start the bike .... its not totally dead, the lights come on (not high beams tho) the horn signals ect work, but the bike wont start. so i was wondering will the batt tender fix this problem

1 - 20 of 32 Posts