Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Havent started my bike in about 2months. Went to start it, it took a while. It cranked then clicked like the battery was weak from sitting. It cranked over finally and let it run for about 20 mins. After about 2 weeks i went to start it again and it wont start. U can hear it cranking for like3 secs and then it will click like the battery is weak. I checked the fluids in the battery it was low so i bought some distilled water and filled it up to the upper part of the battery. Still the same. Should i get a new battery or charge it up? Or is this the battery. BTW, i have a 2005 ninja 500r. Thanks

·
Registered
533 Posts
charge it... then start it... and ride it...and ride it... and ride it... and ride it somemore

·
Gear Head
434 Posts
The real problem is...why is your bike sitting so long?

And yes, use a trickle charger on it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what kind of trickle charger do i need? Is there a special brand? Im new to all this so educate me! Ive done some research on the trickle charger, should i get a float one or whatever its called? How many amps? What store do you think I can get it from? THANKS ALOT BTW

·
Luv my big boy toys
1,490 Posts
Havent started my bike in about 2months. Went to start it, it took a while. It cranked then clicked like the battery was weak from sitting. It cranked over finally and let it run for about 20 mins. After about 2 weeks i went to start it again and it wont start. U can hear it cranking for like3 secs and then it will click like the battery is weak. I checked the fluids in the battery it was low so i bought some distilled water and filled it up to the upper part of the battery. Still the same. Should i get a new battery or charge it up? Or is this the battery. BTW, i have a 2005 ninja 500r. Thanks
I would have the battery load tested, it is about 3 years old.
If you don't have this handy dandy tool then you could have it tested at most auto parts stores for free, takes just 15 seconds, not counting if you need to remove the battery.

·
Registered
22,566 Posts
battery tender brand is a good one. you can get other brands at places like walmart.

I must have missed that the battery is going on 3 years old. there is a chance that it is shot but like freightshaker said, take it to autozone or your favorite auto parts place to get it tested. you will not be wasting the money if you get the charger though. if you have to store the bike for the winter it is good to have for that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok battery is no good from what i was told. Any good batteries out there? Or n e i should stay away from?

·
Registered
22,566 Posts
stay away from walmart batteries
stay away from bikemaster

expensive but a correctly initialized and maintained yuasa battery will last a long time.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Bear in mind that if you let the engine run but the bike sit still your battery will not recharge. You need forward motion for that. If you want to keep your bike running over the winter you need to take it out for a spin AT LEAST once a month, depending on your bike and your battery.

Me for example I have an 06 636 that is just over a year old and if I let her sit for 3 weeks she has trouble starting up, so I take her out at least once every 2 weeks. It's a tough job but someone's got to do it :biggrin:

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
Make real sure you get the proper type of trickle charger that has a sensor in it to know when the battery is full, then you can leave it hooked up all the time and not worry. Some of the cheap ones are just a small-load charger and don't shut off.

You can't expect a motorcycle battery to hold a charge over two months of sitting, so the charger is a must if that is the how often you ride.

Buy a very good quality battery. I have had my sealed unit in my Vulcan since new in 01 and it's still doing fine. Regular riding is the key though. When I do replace it, I will get another high quality unit. There's nothing more frustrating than having to deal with a weak battery and never knowing when you go to get on the bike if it will start or let you down.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts