Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Bug Killer Extraordinaire
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK is there a battery Guru out there?

mine is getting to the point where its about dead and I need to get a replacement.
I am looking at getting the most amp hour\ cold cranking amps I can find.

I am told this is a Gel cell, is that AGM? I am fairly knowledgeable with
batteries, but Motorcycle batteries ain't one of them.

from what I can find the battery for my bike is a Yuasa YTX20CH-BS
is there one better?

·
Politicians' Nightmare
1,871 Posts
Your current (sorry!) Yuasa is an AGM type which is different from a gel-type even though some sellers use the terms interchangeably. Last year when my only two year old Yuasa died I went onto Ebay and got a replacement - not a Yuasa - for my VN900 for $39.00 including shipping and with a one year guarantee. A comparable Yuasa would have cost at least twice as much. So far it's working fine.

·
but still a NooBie
1,104 Posts
My H-D buddy purchased a battery today. We installed it this afternoon and cranked his ride for the first time in months. When I asked how much the battery cost, he shook his head and muttered "Over $100."

:eek:

·
Ride long and prosper
1,487 Posts
Learned this one from large sailboats but it applies. AGM and Gel batteries are more expensive but often last longer. A large part of that can be attributed to the effect vibration (and aint a vulcan a heck of a vibration generator) has on a wet cell battery. It causes the lead plates that make up the battery inside essentially to fall apart faster.

A rule of thumb. For the same footprint battery the heavier it is the better, because that means it has thicker lead plates, which translates to a longer battery life both as far as total life and how long it will take to run it dead.

Barry

·
Life Begins at 200 mph
1,387 Posts
from what I can find the battery for my bike is a Yuasa YTX20CH-BS
is there one better?
Yeah i just ordered this and have a similar thread about this for my 1600.

I got it from a local shop for $67.84 out the door.

Thread is titled "VN1600 Battery"

·
Registered
362 Posts
Vulkin'
<Learned this one from large sailboats but it applies.>
Whachu got? I have a Beneteau 40, with some LARGE batteries (two 8Ds for house use, a Group 24 to start the diesel). This is pickin' nits, but there is a difference between Amp Hours and Cold Cranking Amps. Big marine batteries with thick, heavy plates aren't really meant to start engines. They can, but they're designed to deliver a fairly low amp rate for a long period of time. Start batts deliver a high amp current, but only for a short time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts