Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Riding daily
4,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it necessary for me to have a trickle charger on my battery if I'm only starting it about once a week. When I do start it, i let it run for 5 or 10. Is that enough

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Personally, I think that is enough for a decent charge for about 2 or 3 weeks. Anything longer than that, I would rather give my bike a nice spin for a minimum of 10 miles.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Personally, I think that is enough for a decent charge for about 2 or 3 weeks. Anything longer than that, I would rather give my bike a nice spin for a minimum of 10 miles.
+1.
at least good fast 10 miles. The battery is discharging during idle. It will shorten the battery life.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Starting and running for 5 or 10, especially if you're just going for a "garage ride", is doing more harm than good for the bike.
You are contaminating the oil with fuel, then circulating that oil, fuel, and moisture from condensation through the engine but not letting it get hot enough to boil off these contaminants. Combustion byproducts also produce acids in the oil that don't have a chance to boil off.

Idling for 5 or 10 minutes is probably not even restoring the power drawn from the battery during startup. If you're going to store the bike for the winter, do it right. Sta-Bil or Seafoam in the fuel, change the oil (and coolant if it's due). Start the engine, get it up to temp to circulate the fresh oil and get the treated fuel into the injection system, then shut it down.
If your garage is not temperature-controlled and it gets down below freezing, remove the battery and bring it inside. Plug it into a Battery Tender to maintain it. If you aren't comfortable leaving a battery on a charger unattended (I'm not), then run it on the tender for a few hours every evening until you get a solid green light indicating it's fully charged.
After that, you can get away with hooking it back up to the tender once a month to maintain it.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
You are contaminating the oil with fuel, then circulating that oil, fuel, and moisture from condensation through the engine but not letting it get hot enough to boil off these contaminants.
+100! We had guys who would store their heavy equipment all winter and just start it up every month or so, let it get warm and then shut it down. As a mech. I loved these guys! Guaranteed work! the acids formed by the inadequate heat/cool cycle with the moisture from condesation assured me of replacing seals, gaskets and other "soft" parts that were vulnerable to taking a "set" while idle with acidic compounds resting on, in, or around them.

Ride that bike at lease once a week hard and full, otherwise, fully-winterize.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts