Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bayou 220 will blow the fuse without the key on.
when i put a new fuse 25amp in it will blow so i disconnect the battery and replace the fuse. I turn the key on and it will start without the battery connected and not blow a fuse by pull start. Can the starter soliend go bad? I trace the wires and can not fing anything. thanks

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
Try this troubleshoting guide:

The Dreaded Shorting/Intermittent Electrical Problem!

Here is the most basic method I know:

1. Charge your battery if you can.

2. Disconnect the Black lead from the (-) Battery terminal... or Red from the (+) Battery terminal, it does not matter which one.

3. Connect one of the following test setups in series with the Battery terminal and lead:
3.1 A 12 V light bulb,
3.2 A 12 V test light,
3.3 A 12 V test buzzer or,
3.4 A 12 V horn... you get the idea.

4. With the Ignition Switch OFF, go through your harness and wiggle the wires while looking/listening for the test setup to go on/start buzzing.

5.With the Ignition Switch ON, repeat the test except this time the looking/listening for the test setup to go on/stop buzzing.

6. Be prepared to open the Ignition switch and check/test for solder joint failure and or circuit board micro breaks (don't ask how I know this ).

7. Be prepared to pull the wires out of the Head Light to test for failures at or near the grommet.

8. Be prepared to open the harness at or near the Steering Neck for failures. This is where wires tend to exhibit fatigue due to repetitive movement.

9. Be prepared to open the left and right switch gear to search for rust and or broken parts. CAUTION: watch out for flying springs, ball bearings and stuff. Do indoors on White sheet (again don't ask ).

10. Be prepared to follow the heavy gauge wire from the Starter Solenoid (Relay) to the starter for bare ware wire exposure. Especially near bends and grommets.

11. If you can reproduce the fault symptom your are pretty much home free. Be prepare to find and repair/replace any internal wire breaks, insulation break downs, exposed wires, rubber grommet failures, etc. Often, shrink tubing will solve the problem temporarily until something better can be done.

12. I use a very good electrical contact cleaner/preservative called De-oxit made by Caig Labs in San Diego Ca. Their website is caig.com - Home of DeoxIT - CAIG Laboratories, Inc. It can be purchased at Radio Shack and any other electronic supply store. I use it on all of my motorcycle’s electrical connectors , in my home entertainment center’s stereo patch cords and cordless phones charging cradles.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank for quick reply.Ihad hook up a volt meter in the fuses holes and it show 12 volts with the key off so i took the body off and start unhooking or disconnecting one thing at a time trying to get the volt meter to drop to O volts and nothing work so would the starter soleond do that if it went bad??????

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
I'd disconnect the starter solenoid and see if the fuse still blows.Also look for pinched wires and corrosion in the electrical conectors. Sometimes wires being clamped too tight will blow fuses.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok i have disconnet the wire on starter soliond going to the starter it still showing 12 volts with the key off here is some pictures

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
I'd imagine that just like the Kawaski motorcycles, the ignition switch is always elecrically hot. I'ts possible the switch has failed internally directing voltage/current where it's not needed.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
did my picture show up. can not see on my competer had my daugher show me how. but she is not sure if she did it right. went to kaw dearership and they want 81.00 for a new starter soliond want make sure before i got one.
I thinking with key off the fuse would not show any volts as it would drain the battery??? thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
where the fuse go in. the key is off and will blow when i put the red cap plug back on cause have to pull cap off to put fuse in.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
have you disconnected the iginition switch it self yet.the problem may lay in the switch itself contacts rusted together.this would cause a short to ground.

you have a dead short on the main power wire if the wirein is not rubbed and touchin the frame then it has to be a switch stuck.

if you disconnected the starter soliniod and the fuse still blew its not the soliniod.

make sure you open the wireing harness and check that main power line off the battery closely if its not the ignition switch stuck then you have a open wire touchin ground.-corey-

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks just disconnet the key switch and it still show volts at fuse and the starter wire is disconnet at starter soleond side other side is still connect to pos side of battery. neg side is still connect to motor groung. body is off and i cut wirings wire ties off so wires are not touching the frame. will do some more traceing and see what i am missing. will report when i find something. thanks everyone for helping

did my picture show up. I can see one did but other did not..!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
only the one pic showed up. did the fuse still pop while everything was diconnected?

if it didnt hook one thing back up at a time till the fuse blows.and thatll be your issue.

but if it still popped then a wire in the harness is touchin a ground wire. you can have the wirein off the frame but ther are still ground wires in the harness that can cause this issue if they are exposed.look for a pinched spot in the harness it may be where the harness ties where.good luck -corey-

1 - 20 of 42 Posts