Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Never quite fixed.
496 Posts
If it has had improper oil in it in the past it could have a "scale" on the friction plates and disks. Other than that I can't tell you much. 86klf300guy, RCW or any of the more knowledgeable members know much more about clutches than me and will chime in eventually.

·
Registered
628 Posts
When you reinstalled the clutch cover did you adjust the secondary clutch?

The mechanism that actuates the secondary clutch when you shift has an adjustable pivot point. That pivot point has to be properly adjusted or your secondary clutch will be slightly disengaged all the time.

Can I ask why you replaced the clutch to begin with? Which clutch was bad?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I replaced the secondary clutch. It was slipping bad. I adjusted the arm after I reinstalled the cover. I backed off the lock nut and turned the adjusting screw till it had resistance then locked the lock nut back down.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Where did you get the replacement clutch? Did you check the plate thicknesses against the service manual specifications before installation?

My bayou has two adjustments for the secondary clutch. My adjustment is more complicated than what you described but that could be the difference between the 220 and 400.

If you had a slipping secondary before, everything was ok with the replacement clutch and it's still slipping then something else must be wrong. What kind of oil did you say you used? How did you primary clutch look when you took your cover off?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I used wet clutch oil for ATV, Mobile 1. 10W40. No I did not check the thickness. I do have a manual but i did not check the thickness, new clutch. IT was slipping in all gears before i replaced the old clutch. The adjustment for the clutch is on the outside of the clutch cover on the 220. Remove cover, loosen the locknut and turn the adjusting screw till feel friction.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Did it happen to be the fully synthetic atv oil? Amsoil sells wet clutch oil that in small print at the bottom it says fully synthetic and one quart of it (because it's all the oil I had to top it off) caused my bayou clutch to slip. I pulled the clutches off, cleaned them with kerosene, and changed the oil to valvoline ATV oil. Haven't had a problem since.

If it was a new clutch then thickness wasn't the problem. The only thing I can think is it's the primary clutch or that oil is synthetic

·
Registered
628 Posts
It has caused me trouble before. I'd recommend changing it to conventional motor oil and see if that changes your problem. Another post on the forum RCW is talking about Shell Rotella T 15W-40 diesel oil to be used with wet clutches. It's conventional oil and apparently compatible.

·
Never quite fixed.
496 Posts
It has caused me trouble before. I'd recommend changing it to conventional motor oil and see if that changes your problem. Another post on the forum RCW is talking about Shell Rotella T 15W-40 diesel oil to be used with wet clutches. It's conventional oil and apparently compatible.
I've used Rotella 15W-40 conventional for about 9 months now with zero issues.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
More information is needed about the smoke issue. Open a new thread with the particulars of what, where, how, and when you noticed the problem.

I am unaware of how it could be related to a clutch issue.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Just replaced the clutch and changed the oil. Correct oil. The Bayou seams to slip between 3rd and 4Th gear???? Is there anything I can do???
do the rpms seem to get higher or does it not feel like 1st and 2ND grab wise?
when you adjusted that clutch bolt did you hold on to the screw while tighten the nut so it does not move?if so then maybe take the screw in another 1/4 turn in and see if that helps out.

as for synthetic oil you can use it as long as its for wet clutches, but regular oil is best and better on the wallet bein it cost more than regular oil.-corey-

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.