Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, someone had to put in the first post. THese days I don't hear a lot from Bayou owners, most forums mostly talk about prairies.

tell me about your Bayou. I have a 220, three teenaged sons have beat it thru every mud hole in NH and Maine and it has never skipped a beat!

only problem we had was a broken reverse switch(easy fix!)

Stan

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yep, you have the honor of being the first one to post in the Dirt forum :D

Got any pictures of that bad Bayou?

·
Proud Owner Of This Forum & Beartooth Kawasaki
2,735 Posts
Stan welcome to the forum, the 220 has been a bullet proof machine for us! I'm sure the 250 will be the same. I'm glad you are so happy with yours 8)

·
Registered
1 Posts
bayou

i just traded for 400 bayou with big foot kit and 26" super swampers. hope to try it out this weekend. good luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
i got a bayou 250

hey yall i got a bayou 250 and it runs awsome i havent had really any major problems with it. it runs nice after everything posible happening to it iv flipped it almost everytime i go out ,pull some nasty donuts, go off some ok jumps, flipped it backward goin up a major hill and just crazy **** like that and after that it still runs good and it gets threw anything. i would like it to be faster sometimes just gettting up there cuz it does take a while but i guess thats how all 4 strokes r so guess i just have to deal with it. but for the most part i like it a lot. k peace i have to get goin peace good luck with the bayou 250

·
Registered
4 Posts
1990 KLF220 Phoenix (Bayou)

My 1990 KLF220 Bayou should be called the Phoenix, as it was resurrected from dead. I bought it from a friend I know through my church two years ago. It had been under a tarp on his property for 9 years, having previously been too near a mining shack fire. The plastic on the ATV was melted like cheese on a sandwich. Some of the knobbys were burn off the rear tires. The light & kill switches were melted & dripped down onto the gas tank. It’d been sitting so long, the gas was like oil & water & the motor oil was like molasses. There were spiders & eggs all over the frame & engine. The wiring harness enclosure up front had an ant nest in it.

I pulled on the rope and it turned over with a thrub-thub-thub sound, so I know it had compression. And with compression, I knew I could make it run. I bought it for $150 & trailered it home. I cut the melted plastic off with a sawzall, put on two new tires & a battery, cleaned out the carb & tank, cold drained & replaced the oil & deloused the entire unit. It started and ran (runs) great. It ran so great, that a month later, I sprung for all new plastic for it. It’s had many oil changes since, and runs real strong. It’s been our workhorse/play ATV for a couple of years now. I’m into it for a total of $800!

·
Registered
4 Posts
And finally, here it is being jumped by my son a few years ago. Note the flat plastic rear fender I'd added and the holes melted through the left rear & front fender. Oh yeah, I also recovered the seat with material I bought from a local upholsterer, used truck marker lamps to replace the stock taillights & repaired the lighing switch to useable condition by filing off the melted parts of the switches. Great unit!

·
Registered
5 Posts
bayou 220 brakes

I love my bayou! It goes through just about everything south Louisana has, that I put it through. I have a K&N air filter for it and while I was at the beach riding I seen a Honda 250 ex behind me, later he pulled up to my truck and asked what I had in it, because he could't catch me. What I need to know is how to take the back drum cover off to change the brake pads. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Proud Owner Of This Forum & Beartooth Kawasaki
2,735 Posts
Welcome to the forum, we use a special tool (puller), if you have a puller that will hold onto two studs and can catch the center of the axle you have it made! 8)

·
Registered
4 Posts
poor picture handling on forum...

Sorry folks, but I give up trying to re- post the pictures that went with my messages above.

·
Registered
9 Posts
bayou 220

We just bought an 1988? 220 bayou. It is about the same story as the melted one, with out the fire part. Basically it sat around in a garage for a year or so. We paid 300 bucks for it, and it is rather good looking for being this old. Only thing is, we cant get it to start :? . Have bought a new plug, plug wire and adapter that goes from wire and attaches to spark plug. It turns over, and blubs when you pull the manuul start, but just wont crank. Today we took partially apart the carb, and cleaned what we could. It seems that the gas is coming out of the BACK of the carb, although theres gas on the plug too :?: . ANY ideas, suggestions, or help would be greatly appreciated. :D Will post pictures when we get it runnin and the plastic back on. Thanks, Juli

·
Registered
2 Posts
my bayou

i have just recently worked for a 1988 bayou it runs good but i noticed oil was escaping through the exhaust vent i was wondering what that is all about? can some one please help me?

·
Registered
2 Posts
wrong info

the oil is comming out of the top vent not the exhaust vent my bad. but does any one know how to fix it or at least whats wrong with it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just bought a klf-220 and am fixing it up to giv my 72yo dad. It runs by shorting the power directly to the starter but nothing happens with the start switch. Does anyone have a wiring harness diagram so I can pick it apart to see what may be wrong?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Don't like to pull start

2003 bayou won't turnover with starter, just clicks tried to jump start and the starter relay does nothing but click. what is my problem? This site is a great place to get things fixed. oh yeah love my bayou 250 with my gator tires, will go anywhere anytime and even places where the big 4X4's can't get thru.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We had a 1990 Bayou 220 that served us well. I bought my wife a 1999 Bayou 220 and traded the 1990 for a 2002 Bayou 220. They are great little machines. My 2002 was used extensively for lawn spraying until I recently purchased a 1998 Bayou 300. Now we use the 220's for fun and the 300 is the workhorse. :)

1 - 20 of 186 Posts