Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bayou 220 that will only pull start. When you press the start button, the solenoid under the seat clicks but the starter motor doesnt seem to be trying to start. Is this a faulty starter or is there something else I need to look for? One place I checked the price of a starter, it was like 280 bucks. I also just read there is a decompression switch on the right side of the motor, next time I will have to give it a try. Any help on troubleshooting the starter problem would be helpful.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Check the electrical connection at the battery and starter motor (not the solenoid). A loose connection can supply sufficient current to pick up the starter solenoid, but not supply enough to run the starter motor. Also, check the positive battery connection to the start motor itself; again, a loose connection there will give you the symptoms you describe.

If all the connections are good, you may have a battery that has a couple of cells that are bad. Can you try a different battery? A failed battery can supply 12 VDC, but cannot deliver any current. Thus, when you try to start it, it does not have enough juice to do any good.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts