Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please does anyone know how to set the timing on an 88 kawasaki bayou 220? We got to the chain and sprockets last night, and there are marks on the upper and lower sprockets, but where should those be?? :?: I have looked all over for a manual, but havent bought one yet. ANY help is very, very appreciated :D , because this is the only thing we cant figure out, and my bayou just wont start :evil: ....has plug, compression, etc..help......please

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
ok, can you send me nice clean up-close pics or a drawing of the marks on your cam sprockets. i can tell you exactly how they have to be if i can see the marks on your cam sprockets

·
UBER CLUB MEMBER #2
13,839 Posts
with the cam cover removed on the leftside of the engine, slide the cam in with both lobes pointing down, the cam has a locating pin, and then put the sprocket in, the sproket has a timing mark and align the sproket with the timing mark at the 12 o'clock position on the head, there is a mark there also. when the sproket timing mark and the timing mark on the head aare in alignment, the cam will be right also.

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
1600pilot said:
with the cam cover removed on the leftside of the engine, slide the cam in with both lobes pointing down, the cam has a locating pin, and then put the sprocket in, the sproket has a timing mark and align the sproket with the timing mark at the 12 o'clock position on the head, there is a mark there also. when the sproket timing mark and the timing mark on the head aare in alignment, the cam will be right also.
ya forgot one important thing, piston has to be at TDC (top dead center) use a straw in the spark plug hole

·
UBER CLUB MEMBER #2
13,839 Posts
QKENUF4U said:
ya forgot one important thing, piston has to be at TDC (top dead center) use a straw in the spark plug hole
I assumed that he had the piston already at TDC

1 - 9 of 9 Posts