Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 bayou 250, which runs fine at low rpm. At high RPM, it misses, and because of this, will not rev up fully.

In an attempt to fix this, I took the carb apart, and it was very clean. I swapped the main jet with one, which is 2 steps bigger.

I also replaced the:

flywheel
pulser coil
ignition coil
cap
spark plug
CDI

I also replaced the gas

What else could it be? someone please help!
I am so frustrated that I am about to throw it over a cliff.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
It is probably the rev limiter that you are hitting. A bayou 250 isn't exactly a high revving rip snorting monster.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont think. It doesnt always do it at the same RPM. It is too inconsistent to be a rev limiter.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Check the valve clearance.

·
Registered
20 Posts
YES CHECK THE VALVE CLEARANCE! I had this same issue with a brand new 2006 Bayou 250.

The first time I got it out on a real ride...over 10 miles on some old logging roads, I noticed that at high RPM I had a miss and also couldn't climb hills very good. Also, every ride I was having to clean the spark plug before ending my ride. Sometimes I actually had to replace the spark plug (luckly I carried an extra one).

Finally after about a month or so I got fed up with it. I took it to the dealer and told them about it. The first time they said I had the wrong plug in it...well maybe I did...I had the original cross referenced at AutoZone and got a Champion spark plug. Looked just like the NGK DR8ES, same size and everything.

They also drained the tank thinking I might have something in the tank. Well I picked it up and brought it back and took it out that weekend. SAME THING!! Fouled out the spark plug.

Well I went to Advanced Auto and had the original NGK DR8ES cross referenced and got an AutoLite plug and it ran fine but still missing on high RPM and after a few rides would foul out the plug.

Again back to the dealer. I told them that I was very disappointed in this thing and that I wanted it fixed! They had it for about 3 days and finally this is what it was as told to me by the service guy:

1. Valves were to tight...had to adjust to factory specs.
2. Float was to high...had to adjust to factory specs.
3. Again the spark plug...they put in the NGK DR8ES plug. (I think this was just a ploy to make sure I used the Japanese plug)

Now the Bayou was still under warranty, but I had to pay for the repairs. Adjustments are not covered by the warranty.

This really got me for two reasons...number 1 and 2 above. I have worked on motors before, overhauled many automotive motors and know that valves will get loose after use and will need adjusting...they said the valves were to tight in my Bayou.

I had not messed with anything on this Bayou except to change oil, spark plug and clean the air filter. That is all.

The float being to high, well again I had not touched anything on the Bayou except to change the oil, spark plug and clean the air filter.

I told the service guy that if these were out of spec then it was that way when they took it out of the crate and I bought it and I shouldn't have to pay for the adjustments to get it into factory specs.

I still ended up paying, but only about $95.00. I had thought about getting the extended warranty before my warranty expired, but I didn't. I will work on my own 4 wheeler now.

Sorry that I had to tell a long story, but again...CHECK THE VALVES...your issues sound very familiar!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey. I have a 2010 Bayou 250....SAME THING!!! No matter what I do it runs the same. Idles all day and low rpm revs is fine.....half to full throttle, whaaap whaaap whaaap, plug turns black. Brand new carburetor kit and valves, according to online specs are correct. .006 for intank, .008 for exhaust. It does sound similar to rev limiter but just similar. Do you know what they adjusted your valves to? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
1,428 Posts
The message you replied to was posted in 2008 and that member has not been active on this site since then. I did reply to your other message with a few things to think about.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts