Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New CDI and Regulator and it still does the same exact thing. Starts and idles but bogs down and dies when throttled up. Strange thing is I can cover the back of the carb with my hand and not let all the air in and it will rev up. I actually can cover the carb intake halfway with a piece of cardboard and drive it around like normal. I have dissasembled the carb numerous times to clean it and it never is plugged anyway. I have not done a compression test on the cylinder but it does not smoke at all and it idles great and has lots of power. Coincidentally, I have a brand new CDI and Regulator for sale if anyone is interested. Anyone have any ideas????

·
Registered
628 Posts
You may have a torn carburetor diaphragm causing a lean condition.

If the diaphragm has a small tear in it, it's not allowing the needle to rise properly. Double and triple check all of the carburetor passages and pull the diaphragm and check it too.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Wait, the slide is lifting when you throttle it?

You are looking down the carburetor throat while the engine is running?

Keihin vacuum slide carburetors are VERY sensitive to changes in incoming airflow and vacuum balance between the butterfly and slide. You have to have an airfilter, airbox, and snorkel tube installed or it will not run properly without a LOT of tuning.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well it was all hooked up when it bought it and it was doing the same thing. I took it off to make sure the vacume slide was lifting. I might just have to bite the bullet and buy a new carb.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 300 is really picky like that too. I have to run part choke till warmed up then I can go no choke. I've disassembled my carb a fee times already

·
Registered
13 Posts
My 300 is really picky like that too. I have to run part choke till warmed up then I can go no choke. I've disassembled my carb a fee times already
I think that is on every ATV, even the Clymer manual tells you to always hold in the choke for at least one minute whenever the engine is cold, then try working the throttle.

My thought with the bog down is the diaphragm as well, if the diaphragm is not torn then it is possible that your spring might be weak or perhaps broken, my lakota was doing the same type of thing last month, I bought a new diaphragm spring and the old one was almost 1/2" too short, now I'm climbing up hills again , or at least until my front end comes off the ground and I lose my mojo :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts