Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a bayou KLF 400 4x4 Quad with a poorly engine. Camshaft completely wrecked, but I’ve found somewhere that can regrind and sort rockers to as new condition.
But I’ve encountered another issue, there seems to be quite a lot of play on the shaft the clutch is mounted on, end float rather. In the manual I have, it doesn’t show any shims or specs on permissible end float. Is it quite normal to have visible end float?
I’m stripping the motor as if I’m spending quite a large sum on the top end, I want the bottom end in good condition too.
Will replace the whole oil pump too and fit a pressure gauge on the oil supply pipe to the top end just in case!
Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
882 Posts
Well if the crankshaft itself is moving back & forth, either the bearings are bad or the crank is. But it's normal for the clutch drum to have some end float on the crankshaft if that's what you are speaking of.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well if the crankshaft itself is moving back & forth, either the bearings are bad or the crank is. But it's normal for the clutch drum to have some end float on the crankshaft if that's what you are speaking of.
I am not near the motor(it’s at a friends) but is the clutch on the end of the crank shaft? What ever shaft it’s on, there’s quite a bit of end float.
Steve

·
Registered
882 Posts
Yep. Last time I did one, there was about 1/8" end float in the clutch drum. That's what I remembered anyway. It's been a while....and for good reason. Lot of KLF400 parts are no longer available from Kawasaki.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts