Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After fixing my starter problem, I'm now having problems with the carb on my Bayou. I pulled it off while working on the starter to put in a new float needle to cure a fuel shutoff problem. While I had it apart, I cleaned it thoroughly, checked the jets, checked/ cleaned/reinstalled at original settings all adjustment needles. The problem I have now is the *#@?!! thing backfires out the exhaust at about mid throttle and won't go faster than that. I've tried re-adjusting the float level up slightly, tried adjusting the mixture needle up and down, pulled it apart 3 more times to clean it even more, but it still backfires. It idles great and has good power up to about half throttle but sucks after that. Fuel flow is OK. It doesn't have any vacuum leaks. The original float level setting was way off(high) when I first took it apart, so I set it by the book when I put the new float needle. What am I missing???

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I set it by the book and even tried raising it a little bit. I now have it set so that the fuel level check (with a clear hose on the drain) is at the mating flange joint. This is about 5mm higher than the book says. Still pops out the back, maybe not as bad.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Is this a Keihin carb? As I understand how these things work...different jets function at different throttle settings, with the main jets not kicking in until you get above half throttle or thereabouts. Have a look at the main jet...air supply, vacuum actuation, diaphram integrity, main needle integrity, etc.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just found the problem... Turns out a wire to the ignition coil was knocked loose when I was doing the other repairs and didn't see it. The wire was touching the coil terminal, but wasn't making a solid connection. It would start and run at low speed fine, but when revving the engine,the wire would vibrate loose and the engine would start to misfire and backfire. This Bayou repair work has been a real pain in the a$$.
Pays to be careful when doing repairs....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey, I have a 2003 250 Bayou and had problems with starter today out on the trail. is the starter gear driven or chain driven? it made a terrible noise thought I blew it up. I don't know if something came loose or what, but the grinding noise stopped and I went on my way all day long except for having to pull start it. any ideas ?????

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The starter in my 220 is gear driven and I have to assume the 250 is the same. There is a one-way 'clutch' mechanism built into the flywheel gear that is noted for breaking. Sounds like yours is at that point and you probably should get it fixed ASAP. The little bits of metal from the gears and/or clutch can do alot of damage in a short amount of time leading to a huge repair bill. Get a shop manual and do it yourself, it isn't too hard to do and you'll save a bucket of money.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts