Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 bayou 300 4x4. When pulling away from a stop the clutch seems to be slipping badly. I have tried adjusting the automatic clutch adjusting screw on the side of the bike but this just seems to affect the shifting between gears. Was wondering if somebody could give me a few tips on which part of the clutch assembly ( primary clutch, secondary clutch,clutch shoe linings, etc) controls the inital clutch lock up when pulling away from a stand still?
Thanks for the help.

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
if i remember right you have a CVT (constant variable tranny) , i dont think you have a centrifigal clutch, so if your slipping its from a bad belt,weak springs, oil on the belt, sheaves that are glazed,weights are dirty/sticky.
im going from memory/similar 4-wheelers so i may not be correct in my diag. :wink: get a service manual and it will give you a trouble shooting guide.
good luck

·
Registered
142 Posts
when you adjusted the clutch did you turn in the top screw all the way then back it out all the way and then back in about 1/2 turn? If that doesnt help it is most likely the primary clutch.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem on my bayou. I have taken the clutch cover off completely and inspected the centrifigal clutch and the clutch plates, but I don't really see a major problem. Could the friction discs be worn out, causing the slippage?

·
Registered
22,566 Posts
yep, wet clutch. if you have tried adjusting the cable at both ends and still have the problem you are probably looking at needing the fiber plates replaced.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi i have a 1998 bayou and i'm putting in new fiber plates and springs can anyone tell me how tight the screws have to be(the three screws with the springs on them)thanks and is there anymore adjustments in there when i have the cover off...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Very helpful I just bought mine and I'm working on installing a carb from a TRX 300 so I hope this won't be my next problem with it. Just bought Friday and don't know anything about it (hope it moves). Very clean bike and never swapped until I get done with it......

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry didn't see the typo...swamped. Been working on the bike all day just taking things apart and getting familiar with it. Fingers are tired.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts