Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright,
my brother was riding today. he went to ride up a hilly trail and downshifted from 3rd to 2nd. he herd a clank but all seemed fine. as he started going up the hill he realized he wasnt going anywhere. he downshifted to 1st (no clank) and saw that only the right wheel was spinning. the left one just sat idle. its not locked in place, it spins freely like the front ones. he was able to make it up to the house but had to take a much more gradual slope.

i have not drained the diff oil yet to check for metal, but there is at least oil in there

any ideas off the bat?

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
It is pretty much dependent on the model and year of Bayou.

If you have the 220 with the two piece rear drive assembly - two axles on a common spool without any differential action - then you likely snapped the end of the axle shaft that now free wheels inside the spool.

If you have the 300, or one of the models with a real differential, then it is likely that you either broke a bevel gear in the differential or snapped an axle at the engagement spline in the carrier unit.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Everything is replaceable, and quite easy to do. Go to Kawasaki.com, follow the Owner Info link to the parts diagrams. You will see what it looks like.

·
Registered
628 Posts
You will probably be replacing the left axle shaft. Luckily it's not hard (or unnecessarily expensive) to do as long as the splines inside the ring gear were not damaged. The real trick is going to be to clear a nice clean spot in the yard/garage and take your time. As RCW said, look at the parts diagram to get an idea of how it's put together and what parts go where.

Also, get really friendly with your 14mm wrench and socket. You'll be needing a those a lot.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i dont think any splines were stripped bc there were no metal shavings in the diff oil. if i just start unbolting stuff the axel and drop it, can i just start taking bolt out that look like will expose the left inner-axel? or are gears and stuff gonna start flyin everywhere...

it looks like (from the diagrams) that i definatly dont want to unbolt the driveshaft. and i probably wont need to(its probably going to be a pain to work around though... would it be bad to unbolt? :icon_frow

judging from the diagram, i should be able to take the wheels off then unbolt stuff to let me see the left inner-axel. and that should let me see whats wrong. can i see the big final/main gear that way to make sure it isnt torn up? (remember no metal shavings in oil)

thanks guys

·
Registered
628 Posts
No spring tension on anything in the rear end except the propeller shaft coming out of the back of the engine case and you shouldn't be touching that for a broken side shaft.

You remove the wheel, 4 flat lug nuts hold it on.

Support the middle of the axle with a jack or jack stand or something sturdy enough to take the few pounds that axle weighs.

Remove the lower shock bolt and the control arm bolt on the rear axle tube.

There are 5-6 nuts on the left side of the differential case where the black axle tube bolts to the aluminum rear-end housing.

When you remove those nuts the left side axle tube will fall away from the rest of the quad, catch it and try to catch any axle pieces that may try to fall out of the tube when you remove it.

Inspect, replace, and rebuild as necessary. Follow the steps in order to put it back together. If nothing looks broken when you take that axle tube off, keep digging. The rest of the assembly comes apart similar to what I've described. When the rear end falls off axle grease will pour everywhere even if you've taken the time to drain it. It hangs up in every nook and cranny in there and makes a mess when you remove it. Make sure you've got shop rags handy.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
alright,
i took everything apart, and it all seems fine. its wierd. the shaft is fine, and so are the splines on each end. when i put it in the differential, i can spin both wheels from either side..

i dont know what could have happened...

however, when i was taking it apart, i put the left axel in the differential and the wheel bracket on the other end and i was able to spin the wheel end without spinning the differential. maybe the splines were just filled with crap and it was slipping?

oh, and any tips on getting the driveshaft back in the motor? it came out when i was trying to get the axel off lol

·
Registered
628 Posts
Jack the frame of the quad up so that the axle is swinging free and you should be able to swing the CV joint back onto the output shaft splines. You might want to remove the rubber expansion joint that's over the CV joint in order to be able to see what you're doing.

You should not be able to turn one rear wheel on that quad without the other turning at the same time. There is no "differential" in the rear-end of a bayou 250, it's relaly just a simple bevel gear and spline system that drives both wheels equally. If one side is able to turn without the other side turning then you have some stripped splines or a broken ring gear. More, closer inspeciton is needed to determine which. Can you post some pics of the setup? Might help with diagnosing the problem.

·
Never quite fixed.
496 Posts
I would also remove the brake drum on the rear axle, it's possible you could have stripped the splines that hold it to the wheel. The drum splines are probably soft aluminum.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Well he said that the left wheel wasn't turning, only the right one was. I figured it's more likely to damage the long shaft (right side) too, but he says it's the short shaft not turning.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
If it is not a stripped internal hub spline, as described by Mr Giggles, disassemble the complete final gear, pull out both the internal splined components. I would bet that one side or the other is stripped. It is absolutely impossible for crud to collect in the rear internal gear splines and cause your problem.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeahh it was just the left hub. i feel dumb cause i took apart all that and didnt even check it haha. no metter, new hub on order... $68!!!!!!

thanks guys for all yer ideas and help

1 - 15 of 15 Posts