Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This 1998 Bayou 220 I just got has all kinds of electrical issues. I NEED YOUR HELP!

Yes, I have a Clymer. Yes, I have read it. Yes, i have searched the site.
So here I go

I already know i am missing the Starter circuit relay.

can i go get one of these from an auto parts store or do in need to get the original?
this guy used a 30A is this right?
http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/f...circuit-relay-bayou-many-other-kawasakis.html

I think i may also be missing the "rectifier" ?
I have the white female connector coming from the motor components, but nowhere to plug it in. I am speaking of the connector with Y,Y,Y, B/Y,W, Br.
http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/f...my-wiring-diagram-throwing-me-curveballs.html

Last thing is that my ignition switch ( the key selector) has only a white and brown wire coming out of it. all the diagrams i find have 4 wires. which is correct?

Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
The Japanese standard for circuits and relays is much different than used in US automotive products. They switch from the ground side and require replacements that do the same. That would put you into Honda or similar replacement parts, and the cost would be greater than just picking up the correct Kawasaki parts.

Modifying the electrical system to use US standard parts is possible if you have the time to trace each circuit and can find and use isolated relays that switch either positive or negative legs without shorting to a common ground. Keep in mind that when it eventually wears out or breaks you will need good reference materials as to what was done so it can be fixed again. Most shops will not touch modified electrical systems without so many qualifications as to cost that it becomes prohibitive for most owners.

Along this line we had a Polaris RZR in the shop with the Chinese built German engineered Weber engine and Japanese electrical system that the owner had fiddled with to create a safety switch bypass for starting when in gear. It went south on him and the Polaris dealer refused to give him a quote without knowing what was modified. By the time he got to us he had sketched out an inaccurate diagram of what he thought he had done, and ended up with a bill for $4,800 after we replaced his ECU, the ignition module, coils, and the fried OEM starter relay, along with part of the wiring harness that went up in smoke in his big game plan. The commercial bypass kit for what he wanted to do was $125, and his switch and wire job cost around $10, but the damage created went far beyond his imagination of the consequences.

The best way to determine if you are missing components on your machine is to go to Kawasaki.com and follow the Owner Info link to the parts diagrams. Then compare the diagram and parts list with what you have before looking at replacement parts.

The wiring diagrams are generic to a number of models during the manufacturing run. There are wire terminals that remain unused on the US models. You need to make sure the part in question is present, then follow the wiring diagram and terminal type to ascertain suitability for the purpose.

I recommend against tapping into the harness if connectors are missing, as the cost of a correct replacement wiring harness is pretty insignificant when balanced against fried components.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good thing I am not taking it to your shop. Sounds like a rip off. I appreciate your comments but I was simply asking for advice on replacing parts.

I never said anything about tapping into the harness- I am trying to make things right with this machine... not mess it up. Plus... I don't plan on ever taking it to a shop. I have a good harness on its way as well as a new rectifier.

Now back to the topic,
I found information that the regulator did change in 1996 (and up) it is now different than the pre 1995 models and are not interchangeable. if you are looking for one the 2006 klr650 kawi uses this same regulator and will work with the 96+ bayou 220, I found an abundance of these on ebay.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Looks like you have everything squared away IowanGPR.

As far as that specific relay working, it might, I'm not sure if the connectors were changed throughout the years. If all else fails they sell relays with the pins and connectors at auto parts stores so you can replace the old connector and relay if you can't find that same one.

Glad you found the right reg/rec.

As for the key switch, the US model bikes only have the two wires. It's the European and possibly the Canadian model bikes that have 4 wires. I can't confirm since I'm not on my comp and that's where my wiring diagrams are.

Hope you get everything sorted out, and hopefully I can offer some help if you need any more help. Oh, my bayou 220 is a 98 btw.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts