Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, since no one can help me out about the VIN Number in my other post can someone enlighten me on this engine number. My Clymer manual is missing numbers for years 94', late 95', 98', and 99'. The other numbers are close to what I have except the last 6 acutal digits. The number of the engine in my quad is: LF220AE652616. Can someone please tell me what year this engine is or even confirm it is a 220. I bought this as a 00' model, but things are not adding up. Like in 00' they went to 17 digit engine numbers instead of 13.

In case you have not saw my post below. I am convinced my frame VIN was not stamped from the factory. It is not where it should be according to the manual, Kawasaki's website, and other places I online I have checked.

Was there a company who made Kawasaki knockoffs that used the motor? Although under the front fender there is a sticker that says Genuine Kawasaki parts, although it has no year on it.

Can someone please help me out on this, because I bought it as a 00' model and if this is not what it is it is going back to the owner or he is going to need to be giving me some money back.

Thanks,
Bill

·
Registered
26 Posts
i have an 88 bayou 300. I have asked tons of people even people have a 300 in the years 86 to 90. My impression is Kaw put a stick on label with the serial number on the frame up under the tank, front. and most of them fell off from hosing off the mud. at least in my case, the 88's were the only year made with white plastic and a few other unique parts as opposed to the 86-87 models.
Why this is such a hassle to determine on the old ones is impossible to understand. Even the Kaw dealers around in the late 80's dont remember.
I think it was about 94 when the numbers were stamped in the frame in frontof the left footpeg

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
hello it is a 220ae in 2000 they call it a 220a13 but by the vin its a 92 and the motor code is a 6 code the 8th digit is the motor and the 10th digit is the year so if it was a 2000 it would be a k on the 10th digit not a 2 hope this helps out a little -corey-

·
Registered
955 Posts
VIN's are 17 characters in length. What you all are reading is the engine number, which is worthless. It's an internal number that Kawasaki used for various purposes, none of which match the engine number to the actual VIN. At least not to my knowledge. You can call Kawasaki Customer Service, and maybe they can match it to a VIN.

The 10th character of the VIN is the year. 2000 model would be a Y. 2001 would be a 1 since Z is not used.

VIN's on 220's and 250 bayous are stamped onto the left frame rail, kind of in front of the foot shifter area. If it's not there, either it's been modified, or the frame was replaced at some point. I've seen them worn off, I've seen them sanded then "bondo'd" as to look smooth, and I've seen them in between (partials). Buying anything that is supposed to have a VIN, without a title to compare the stamped-in VIN to, is a gamble.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts