Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a 1999 bayou 220 that has gone through alot of work. I put a new transmission in it and while i had the case apart I bored it over 40 and put a wiseco piston it, re jetted it, and added a k&n air filter. But once i got it back together the shift drum didnt look right. and when i rotate the clutch the bevel gear moves when it is supposedly in nuetural. anyone have any ideas on how to check if it is in nuetrual or not before i have to take the motor back out again. thanks

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Sounds as if you have the side cover off and are turning the clutch housing by hand. If so, unless you have depressed the shift lever and allowed the clutch to disengage the drive bevel will turn.

The pressure plate system is always engaged on these unless the shifter is lifted or depressed. Only then will the clutch cam will disengage the disks.

As long as you followed the indexing instructions for reassembly of the transmission it should be just fine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 1990 300 Bayou. Trying to replace the starter, and can not figure out how to slide the new one in, while keeping the sprocket with the chain on it from sliding down. I will attach some pics. Any help would be great. Was thinking of freezing some grease and put it under the sprocket...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
I would strongly recommend you pull the alternator side case, and not only do the alignment from there, but also check the starter chain plate under that cover, and it would probably be a good idea to check the starter chain for slack.

After nearly 20 years I would suspect that chain is due for replacement.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you for the response. I do not have a manual for this machine, just owners manual. Has worked great for the last twenty years using if for hunting and ice fishing. How hard is it to take off the other side. Looks like about 10 bolts. Will I be able to get it back toghter without loosing fluid?, If so What? Thanks Again

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
It is pretty straightforward, and about a cup of oil will run out when you crack the case open.

I would get the service manual so you have the torque values, procedure for changing the cam chain, starter, clutch, etc., for keeping the Bayou running another twenty years! That is a whole lot less expensive than a new ATV.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.