Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem with the Bayou where it will say it is in Nuetral, but the electric starter will not turn over & pull starting is in vain. I checked the kill switch & it is not locking it out by its position.
-
New Battery, $110 type. Headlights work, however starter button is dead.
-
I have had this problem in the past and I would just rock the thing while I shifted in & out of gear & it would eventually start.

Does anyone know why this is happening.

·
Alien Abductee
376 Posts
The book says to check the nuetral switch. There are 3 cables coming out of the left side of the engine. 2 go the the front of the engine and are the stator wires with 3 yellow wires in one cable and the pickup coil with 2 wires a black and a blue. The third cable should have 3 wires a black a green and a red or red with white stripe depending on year..When in nuetral there should be continuity between geen and ground and continuity between ground and red when in reverse. And open in any other gear. Test that first . You may be able to trace them down from under the seat. Be carefull seperating the connector dont pull on the wires. And its a good idea the pack the connector with a dielectric gease when you reasemble them. Keeps corrosion down and water out. I use silicon grease it does the same thing but costs less.
Jim

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a ton Jim! I'll check the wires out when I get to the Farm next. I'm like you regarding packing all the connectors with dielectric/silicone grease. However, I'm sure that I haven't checked the wiring that you mentioned here. It seems to me that the manufacturers would do this from the factory, but that makes for a long lasting ride & we know they really don't want that. I've had this 89' Bayou for 6 years now. It's been hard to start, but once running, it won't stop. Then I figured out my Choke Cable was bad and I used cheepo batteries. I've since fixed both problems and shes easy to start up now, until this.
Thanks again,
Tim

1 - 3 of 3 Posts