Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 1995 Bayou 300 4x4 and the reverse lockout does not work. The cable from the reverse switch to the lever is connected properly, and the lever returns fully to what should be the lockout position. Nonetheless, the quad can be shifted directly from 1st to Reverse.

Has anyone here encountered this before? Any ideas what the problem might be?

It appears that I'd have to remove the driveshaft, rear differential, and sub-transmission just to get at the actual reverse lockout mechanism. I'm considering just using it the way it is. There is, of course, the possibility of damaging something by shifting into reverse while moving forward, so ideally, this should be fixed.

Any thoughts, suggestions, or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
ive got a 93 bayou and mine works the same way,ive run it 3 years that way and it hasnt hurt it yet.just make sure your at a full stop before you shift it

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
If you take a look at the parts diagrams on Kawasaki's web site, look for the gear change mechanism picture to get an idea of how the reverse system relies on the gear change drum assembly to lock in neutral before shifting into reverse.

Then take a look at the picture for the gear change drum and shift forks. Look for the total assembly that is named drum-assembly-change. On the inside end of that unit is the neutral lock named "holder-neutral switch."

Between the holder-neutral switch, and the drum itself is a roller, a spring and a pin. One or all of those have failed, or the holder-neutral switch has broken.

The fix is relatively straightforward, and I would recommend you pick up the repair manual from http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/beartooth-kawasaki/, open the unit and identify what is broken, then make the repair.

There is a downside to running with the holder-neutral switch not functioning other that it is dangerous, and that is if the broken roller, spring, or pin drop out they can lodge in the gears and that generally brings the machine to a screeching halt and snaps the transmission case that holds the mainshaft - kind of expensive.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your excellent and very helpful response. I guess I'm going to have to tear into it and figure out exactly which of the components needs to be replaced. Now, at least, I know what I am looking for.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
hi mine does the same thing and mine is an 86 and the original owner say it been like dat sence 88 so i guess it hadnt hurt nothing yet still going strong -corey-but maybe 1 day ill get the nerve to fix it i guess cause thats not right

·
Registered
28 Posts
any chance someone could copy the section of the manual mentioned above for the reverse issue/lockout switch. hard time swinging the $60 right now. thanx

·
Registered
2 Posts
any chance someone could copy the section of the manual mentioned above for the reverse issue/lockout switch. hard time swinging the $60 right now. thanx
I'm having this exact same problem with my 1995 Lakota (KEF300A1)... I've never been inside of one of these transmissions, how bad is it to get to?

-Rob

·
Registered
2 Posts
The fix is relatively straightforward, and I would recommend you pick up the repair manual from
Is this something that can be done with the bottom end in place? or will removing it/splitting the case be required to get at this "drum-assembly-change" unit?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts