Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was coming up to a red light the other day at a normal speed and breaking. All of a sudden my back tire starts sliding for the few feet left to the light. I hadden't noticed the big black oil spots on the ground. The worst places for liquid spills in town are at lights because the cars are just sitting there and leaking all over. Next time you pull up to a stop sign or light look at the ground and check it out. I wish the DOT could do something to enforce some kind of manditory check ups to keep all this from leaking onto our roads.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Glad it turned out OK. Another thing to watch out for at red lights during the summer is the water from their AC making a nice little puddle. Make a nice slick spot!

·
Registered
605 Posts
when pulling up to stoplights get to the right or left of the lane, then notice whether or not there is a huge slope...if there isn't no big deal, but if there is a huge slope to the right at say even a 15 degree angle get to the left hand side of the lane because cars are leaking oil, coolant (slipperiest substance in the world if you ask me) and it is rolling down the slope so be careful guys and initiate stops a long way back if there is no one behind you and you know the light system.

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
I was going to suggest to stay in the tire tread areas at stoplights but Stu beat me to it. Also something to consider, at the "main" intersection in my podunk town, the big trucks have rutted the lanes and it is near impossible to ride the center of the lane because of this. Even if you try if you don't get to the bottom of the groove your gonna have issues when coming to a stop as the bike will want to lean and or fall.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Great advice guys I would have never thought of this. Espc. with a 40% increase in traffic now that the college kids are back in town.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Hehe, sounds just like an experience I had that taught me to stop in the left or right portion of the lane.

I was approaching a stoplight and decided to slow down a bit quicker than usual... hehe, both tires locked up and I slid quite a ways into the intersection. Thankfully the light was turning red and there wasn't much traffic. But from now on I don't attempt stopping in the middle of the road.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

its even worse with a light rain

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, if you're riding and it starts raining you should stop. Its the worst when it JUST starts raining. Before the rain washes away the oil and grim it is like driving through the grease after you finish cooking baccon. Stop and hang out for about 15 min and then take off again but be careful.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Good advice unless you have to stop in the center to activate the sensor.

Fatcat

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
FatCat said:
Good advice unless you have to stop in the center to activate the sensor.

Fatcat
Don't those sensors extend under the asphalt all the way across the lane?

·
Registered
605 Posts
they can actually be anywhere depending, next time you're approaching a light slowly, take the time to look for a little rectangle cut into the ground and then re-sealed, that's the box...One trick I was told about last night with some new friends (one sportbike, one streetbike) was if you've been waiting for a second, tap your centerstand to the ground twice real quick

·
Registered
128 Posts
Stuart said:
they can actually be anywhere depending, next time you're approaching a light slowly, take the time to look for a little rectangle cut into the ground and then re-sealed, that's the box...One trick I was told about last night with some new friends (one sportbike, one streetbike) was if you've been waiting for a second, tap your centerstand to the ground twice real quick
where i'm at here, there's usually 3 lines cut out of the pavement, and i center myself over any one of the three. there's a couple intersections that use radar tho, those never see me. i have to get up and run across and punch the crosswalk button, or just run the red if no one's around.

i'll have to try the centerstand trick sometime

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm not sure what that center stand trick would do for you because none of them rely on weight. The censor is a type of magnet that detects metal. The reason bikes wont trigger it sometimes is because there isn't enough metal there. The best way to trigger it is to get in the middle of the box. Don't worry about having one or both of your wheeles over it. Just the majority of your bike.

·
Registered
64 Posts
if you don't like waiting for lights to change on your motorcycle,just look in the back any motorcycle magazine and order your self a thing called GREEN LIGHT I have one on my Concours and now I never wait for lights to change! in fact now it's funny to come up behind one lonely car sitting at a light that won't change and trip it for them!! (LOL) BTW: Their $12.00 :wink:

·
Registered
456 Posts
Green Knight said:
The censor is a type of magnet that detects metal.
I'll bet they work on Eddy currents. If you remember your high school physics, the three factors are 1. proximity to the sensor, 2. amount of steel, and 3. velocity of the steel. So you could try running up to the intersection at 100MPH, then slamming the brakes. But I suppose that would defeat the purpose of "be careful approaching a stop light."

Superbike Mike said:
order your self a thing called GREEN LIGHT
I've said this before, but my favorite quote on the subject comes from one of our own members at http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4946&highlight=#4946
vaporgas2000 said:
I also saw this topic on another forum and they said something about using a magnet from a speaker but they thought it would be a problem because it would pick up all the harley parts that had fallen off. :lol: :lol:
when I read that I set a new distance record for shooting beer out of my nose :lol:
Curt

·
Registered
605 Posts
well, I know you can hit the starter button and it will charge up the electricity on the bike and that will trip it, but then again, this was heard from an electrician who rides so I don't know if I trust that...

Green,
Like you said & Like I know it's not weight it's metal, so if you get a piece of metal pushing into the ground it might be more likely to notice you, then again I said I don't know if that would work becuase it's second hand info, so far it's worked for me, but then again it might just be coincidence quite a few times.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Now that I think about it, that centerstand trick just might work. It's only a few pounds of steel, but if you push it down it could be within an inch of the sensor. That gives you proximity, and a quick snap gives you velocity, so that might make up for the small mass of the steel. I've got to try that sometime, but I almost never get caught at stoplights.
Curt

·
Registered
605 Posts
yeah me either, until i started going into small towns in the middle of nowhere for the awesome turns and the well kept roads, then...when I noticed the light problem i was pissed, now go up to a light and purposefully avoid the sensors if you know how...then once you've waited a minute and no one has come do a snap or two downwards of the centerstand and watch the walk sign turn into a quick flashing hand, it's the most beautiful thing in the world :)

P.S. It might be best to attempt this at 2am so no cars or peds help ya

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
When I was riding my Yamaha FZ-1, I never tripped the light sensor. I'd end up making a right on red, and turning around. But with the Vulcan, it's not a problem. It trips the sensor every time. So maybe the increased amount of steel is good for something else as well! :)

·
Registered
142 Posts
not only stop lights but drive throughs too. i've almost lost it a time or two at McD's. my city, memphis, has passed a new law where if you can't have the light change, we're allowed to pass through red's if no traffic is in your own lane.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts