Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a '00 ex500r. I'm giddy!!! I'm all of 145 lbs, so it should be all the bike I need. Besides, I don't want it to be faster than the car I'm building or I'll need to make new plans for that. Just wanted to say hello, I'm gonna go over to the sportbike forum & ask for some basic hop-up advice so if you've got any handy tips, fill me in.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a 68 mustang fastback. It's getting a 331 stroker (5.0 based) that'll make 450-500hp, a 5 speed & the rear end will have 4.10 gears & a locker. Should just squeak me in under 11.99 once the bugs are worked out. That's with slicks though, street tires will just blow a lot of smoke most likely :lol:

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
casadepunklife said:
It's a 68 mustang fastback. It's getting a 331 stroker (5.0 based) that'll make 450-500hp, a 5 speed & the rear end will have 4.10 gears & a locker. Should just squeak me in under 11.99 once the bugs are worked out. That's with slicks though, street tires will just blow a lot of smoke most likely :lol:
Don't wanna burst your bubble, but a 500R with upgrades can pull just under 12 sec 1/4 miles..... :shock:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, I've got it all figured out. Once the car's finished I'll take 'em both to the strip & have my sister drive the bike! -problem solved!

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

It's a 68 mustang fastback. It's getting a 331 stroker (5.0 based) that'll make 450-500hp, a 5 speed & the rear end will have 4.10 gears & a locker. Should just squeak me in under 11.99 once the bugs are worked out. That's with slicks though, street tires will just blow a lot of smoke most likely Laughing

you could of just got a LS1 car with a few bolt ons and got 450rwhp :twisted:

:lol: sorry-i'm a pontiac guy :lol:

welcome to the board :wink:

ride safe

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Re: re

bikeaholic said:
It's a 68 mustang fastback. It's getting a 331 stroker (5.0 based) that'll make 450-500hp, a 5 speed & the rear end will have 4.10 gears & a locker. Should just squeak me in under 11.99 once the bugs are worked out. That's with slicks though, street tires will just blow a lot of smoke most likely Laughing

you could of just got a LS1 car with a few bolt ons and got 450rwhp :twisted:

:lol: sorry-i'm a pontiac guy :lol:

welcome to the board :wink:

ride safe

I dunno, a '68 fastback is a sexy car, My dad's first car was a '69 mach 1 with a 351 and 3 speed. I wish I woulda gotten that for my first car!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Welcome, like the hotrods to, just kinda seems slow once ya start messing with bikes but I still enjoy them. Last year I sold my fastest one to date, had a 350 in an s-10, ran mid 11's and ate up tires faster than I could buy 'em.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

I dunno, a '68 fastback is a sexy car, My dad's first car was a '69 mach 1 with a 351 and 3 speed. I wish I woulda gotten that for my first car!

yes-the 2nd gen stangs were badd a$$,and the mach cars from 69-71 were fun to drive

but a three speed? good thing it was sexy cause it was'nt fast :lol:

yea whitey-the s10 v8 is popular around here-there are a few tubbed ones running
around that are pretty nasty :twisted:

THREAD HIJACK!!! :shock: :lol:

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Re: re

bikeaholic said:

yes-the 2nd gen stangs were badd a$$,and the mach cars from 69-71 were fun to drive

but a three speed? good thing it was sexy cause it was'nt fast :lol:

yea whitey-the s10 v8 is popular around here-there are a few tubbed ones running
around that are pretty nasty :twisted:

THREAD HIJACK!!! :shock: :lol:
I beg to differ, that car ran 13s straight stock. he almost got to buy a mach 1 cobra jet, but my grandmother got pissed about that idea.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

those 429cobra jets were always my favorite ones-they were pretty quick in there day
i got my butt whooped one time by one of those when i had plymouth road runner.
both cars were stock and i was humbled by the ford big block :lol:

it ain't fast unless its 10sec street car :twisted: :lol:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I just drove it home!!! Couldn't be happier. Way more bike than I ever had before. Super comfortable for a little guy like me too. As far as the car goes, I'll be very content to just break into the 11's. It's staying pretty stock looking & you can't really fit wider than 10" in the back without messing with the fenders or tubbing.
Back to the bike - Any tips on insurance companies? I need to find an owner's manual or better yet a shop manual, where should I look? What oil should I run, I know not to use synthetic because of the clutch, right?

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
casadepunklife said:
Well, I just drove it home!!! Couldn't be happier. Way more bike than I ever had before. Super comfortable for a little guy like me too. As far as the car goes, I'll be very content to just break into the 11's. It's staying pretty stock looking & you can't really fit wider than 10" in the back without messing with the fenders or tubbing.
Back to the bike - Any tips on insurance companies? I need to find an owner's manual or better yet a shop manual, where should I look? What oil should I run, I know not to use synthetic because of the clutch, right?
You'll have to check around with insurance, progressive is popular (I use them). haynes manual will be good as a shop manual. search around the net for that.

You can use any oil you want if it works, if it has a label that says 'energy conserving' don't put it in your bike. Synethetics are good for a new bike, but pricey. I run castrol 20W-50 semi-senth its moderatly priced and runs very very well.

·
Registered
837 Posts
as far as insurance down here...1800 call mcgraw was $300.00 cheaper than progressive.its diffrent everywhere you live i think... :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I went into my Farmer's Insurance office where I have my auto policy. I was expecting to have to go elsewhere, but they hooked me up (through another insurer) for $141.00 for the year. Sure can't complain about that. It's just liability & it doesn't hurt that I'm getting old I guess. Also I've got a clear record. I was hoping to save that for the car, so I'll try to control myself on the bike.

On a much lamer note I made myself a big hassle at the dmv aparently. The gal I bought the bike from just signed the title & left it to me to fill in the mileage & whatnot. So I started to write it in the blank squares, starting with the first space on the left. Then I thought to myself, that space would be for multiples of a hundred thousand miles. So I scratched it out and filled in 8,500 miles using the four rightmost spaces. Well, they won't let me title it now, until I get her to sign this form with a notory concerning the mileage. :evil: :evil: So I spent two hours for a ten day permit & get to spend another two hours there next week. ARGGGGGG!!!! I hate that place.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Manuals&Oil

If you go to the top of the page where it says Discount Kawasaki Parts & Accessories and point and click it will come up with www.beartoothkawasaki.com and you can order your manuals right there or you can call them too. Yes you can run 100% Synthetic without hurting the clutch plates, or anything in the engine, according to the Owners and Maintenance manuals. The Owners manual will tell you what you need to know and the Maintenance manual is just a lot deeper and repeats most everything but gets deeper in detail. Beartooth sponsors this Kawasaki Forum, so if you have questions or need parts support them if you will. Welcome aboard! Farmers, here in Kansas will not insure a "Sport Bike". I said c'mon it's an EX500 Model F, and then she asked me isn't that also a NINJA 250R? So, although Progressive has me quoted at $367/year (51 with no tickets/accidents), I'm still looking.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
the company that my Farmer's agent insured me through is called Foremost, See if you can find a quote from them - I never expected to pay less than $200 a year.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Insurance

Thank you...I'll give them a try. I thought That I was at Farmers the other day, but I was at the office across the street....from them.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts