Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
NINJA

FIRST OF ALL...I see a lot of people writing about the NINJA 250R being underpowered...I don't think that if you have really ridden one (PROPERLY) that you would have that opinion! The NINJA 250R has a REDLINE of 14,000RPM and it too is water cooled. It doesn't have the Bottom-end Torque that the larger bikes have, but give it its due, take one out for a spin if you trust your friend riding your what-ever bike and wrap it out and see what happens when all of a sudden the power rolls on at 9,000RPM and carries you on up to 13,000RPM...yeah, I know redline is 14,000RPM...check out the real think...or at least if you are going to hide behind a keyboard and talk about the bike, check out the stats on the bike. The ONLY difference between Ignorance and Stupidity is Knowledge. The NINJA 250R is truely a NINJA, it is not a want-to-be!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Strictly VN 1600 said:
... there's no reason to be afraid of big bikes (other than being too short). Everything is inside your head.
I'm with "Strictly VN 1600" on this one. I ride a Ninja 250, but when I took my road test for my license, there was a guy there with a huge (and I mean huge) cruiser. He had been riding a long time, but he had to take the test because he forgot to renew his license. He weaved in and out of the cones with no trouble at all, and he did it way easier than me on my little Ninja. Why? Because he was mentally ready for it. He knew he could do it.

The reason I have to practice Rachmaninoff isn't only to learn the notes. It's also to convince myself that I can play it. It's all about confidence.

And don't try to be all reasonable and say that how you look is less important than how much you enjoy the ride. How you look on the bike is part of the enjoyment of the ride! I respectfully disagree with iakai on this one, but I'm probably more shallow than he is. Maybe you're shallow like me.

In my opinion, the ZX-6R should be manageable for you. It's a lot more horsepower than the Ninja 250, but at 355 lbs., it's only 51 lbs. more than the Ninja 250, and it's actually lighter than the Ninja 500.

It sounds like I'm trying to talk you into a bigger bike, but I'm not. I'm just telling you that the choice is yours. But there are some reasons to get a smaller bike, especially as your first bike.
1. It costs half what a big bike costs
2. Insurance is a half what it would cost for a big bike
3. It uses half the gas of a big bike
4. It's easier to hold it up when it starts to tip over
5. It's easier to pick it up after it does tip over (and you'd better learn how — even a Ninja 250 is a bear to pick up)
6. You don't need a ZX-6R to look sexy. The boys — and I mean all the boys — will be drooling when they see you pull up on any sportbike and pull off your helmet.

But take the safety course before you buy a bike. You'll get some good feedback there. You must resist the temptation to buy the bike now. And no matter what bike you get, get some good riding gear, because you're going to fall sooner or later, and you don't want to permanently mess up that silky soft skin, now do you?

I like my Ninja 250. There's more about it on my web site.

Curt

21 - 22 of 22 Posts