Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
want to get a bike soo bad
i dont no how to ride one though..
do i get licensed first,take msf, or buy a bike?
im def. gettin a 650r

AND in the state of florida is getting insurance mandatory?
I heard all you need is to wear a helmet.

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
Where to start?

First off, welcome to the fourm. The fact you are inquiring and asking is a great and smart place to start.

If you have never ridden a bike before, please don't be concerned about purchasing your dream bike (ie:650R) as your first bike. Think of it as a lifelong journey, and find a decent lightwieght used bike to start out and learn on. The dream bikes will come later.

Yes, yes, yes...do whatever you can to get educated. Take an MSF course, many offer the use of motorcycles so you can complete the course prior to purchasing a bike.

As far as gear goes, if all you want to do is protect your head...then I guess all you need to do is wear a helmet. :wink: Gear up, and gear up properly. Buy a decent jacket, a pair of good boots with ankle coverage and a pair of gloves.....along with a new helmet of course. Riding with the correct gear can mean the difference between riding away from a simple drop....or taking a ride in the flashing red light van to deal with a broken ankle, burns, missing fingers, concussion, etc.

Find a local bike club to join, or hang out with. (and not one that consists of idiots that think it's cool to stunt and wheelie down public roads) Introduce yourself to some of the more mature (mature not necassarily in age but more in m/c wisdom) members or local riders and see what information and advice you can glean from them.

Best of luck, I'm sure other will chime in...but all I can do is offer my .02, hope you learn well and ride safe, and have a long and fun 2-wheeled future in front of you.

cheers.

·
MaNaMaNa DoDoDoDoDo
4,767 Posts
First, how old are you? That will decide what is required in Florida.

Secondly, take the MSF first. Motorcycle riding is NOT for everyone that thinks it is cool and dreams about it. And this is the best way to find that out.

Third, After passing said MSF course, then look for a bike. And, as was stated above, used is usually the best way to go. And one that is not inherently super fast.

Fourth, I am a firm believer in wearing all the gear all the time (except when going to the bathroom, unless a$$less chaps are worn).

Fifth, Welcome.

·
... at the old, ballgame!
1,061 Posts
First, how old are you? That will decide what is required in Florida.

Secondly, take the MSF first. Motorcycle riding is NOT for everyone that thinks it is cool and dreams about it. And this is the best way to find that out.

Third, After passing said MSF course, then look for a bike. And, as was stated above, used is usually the best way to go. And one that is not inherently super fast.

Fourth, I am a firm believer in wearing all the gear all the time (except when going to the bathroom, unless a$$less chaps are worn).

Fifth, Welcome.
+1

To number three I would add that your first bike should probably be a used one. If it has a ding or two, so much the better. You will be less paranoid about the bike, and more able to concentrate on skills and being safe.

Sixth, ride (and learn) at your own pace. After I took the MSF BRC and got my first bike, I rode around the neighborhood, then started to venture out onto roads with more traffic, then major roads, and then the highway. I went to the next level only when I was comfortable enough to move up.

·
MaNaMaNa DoDoDoDoDo
4,767 Posts
If you have friends that are into safety that ride, pick their brains and ride with them. But, remember, a good MC rider will make sure YOU are SAFE and not going over your abilities.

·
The little guy said it.
17,962 Posts
Definitely, definitely, definitely wait on getting the 650R. Expect to grow out of the first bike you get; at a minimum I would wait until you've been riding a full year before moving up to the 650R. The 250R is still a very capable bike and they'll knock your socks off so long as you're not trying to pull any dangerous stunts, and if that's the tendency you have, I would definitely stay away from the 650R.

I decided to get the Versys before I had a full year's worth of riding time under my belt. As a result, I didn't maintain proper control of the bike and, you guessed it, I crashed. To add to the complexity of the situation, I had my wife with me and my first motorcycle accident was her first motorcycle accident as a passenger - she doesn't ride though.

And +1 on the safety gear. Click on the link in my sig and you'll see how well the gear does. In spite of my ramblings about leather, the textile gear worked well and held together in spite of being dragged along concrete moving at 20 mph with my weight and my wife's weight bearing down on the gear. It withstood the forces of 300+ lbs and kept my skin from being shredded - and my hand from being ground away to nothing (if you look at the picture of the mangled glove you'll understand what I mean) - as we slid on the concrete at 20 mph. I won't say that you have to wear the stuff, but I definitely recommend wearing full gear.

Anyways, on the subject of more fun, happy stuff, here's a review of the Ninja 250 as written by a guy who normally rides a Hyabusa. His review almost has me sold on the Ninja 250!

700 Miles on a Kawasaki Ninja 250 - A motorcyclist's review - Pashnit Motorcycle Forum

·
MaNaMaNa DoDoDoDoDo
4,767 Posts
As I understand, Fl law says you have to wear a helmet until you are 21. After that you must have at least $10K in insurance to NOT wear a helmet. But, figure out what your head/brain/face is worth and ride accordingly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts