Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
am I gonna ruin this?
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well since we in the Pacific Northwest are in the deep freeze I decided it was time to tear into the bike. My first update is to remove the tank seam on my Vulcan 900. Here are some before and in progress shots.

·
am I gonna ruin this?
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Essentially I don't think it will be any different. We've been cutting the seam in 3 inch sections and welding it up as we go so the tank doesn't lose its shape. The tank seam is just extra metal that was ribbon welded in the first place to save money on production. We are completely removing it so the end result will be a smoothe contour like it was never there. The only place that may have stress on it will be the tight turn on the top where it goes around the frame. With the instrument cluster in place it does'nt show so we are going to leave it intact.

·
The Widows Son
9,126 Posts
wayyyyyyy braver than I am :p

Cant wait to see how it turns out!

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
I would like to see close-ups after you have it back on and painted. Nice job.

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
track your hours and materials, i'm sure you could find many who would pay to have it done to their tanks...i see a cottage industry forming

i'll be interested in your final results and reflections

·
Registered
84 Posts
Oh man, I'm picturing it complete. I think it'll look really smooth. Ya gotta post pics when it's done. I'm curious as to what it might cost to have something like that done.

·
37,387 Posts
^^^

see

customer #1

·
am I gonna ruin this?
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Actually Thats the plan, we are hoping to offer this service and are keeping track of time and materials as we go. I am either going to repaint it gloss black or flat black. I'm going with an old time retro hotrod look.

·
37,387 Posts
I'm sending mine out to you today! I've wanted to do that for a long time. I've heard of some who have simply heated up the metal and bent over the seam. Did you consider that option?
as one who once was trained in the almost lost art of heat shrinking....i'd be afraid of too much heat and the effects of warping etc...

not saying it cant be done but its a fine line between perfection and complete loss

·
37,387 Posts
Awesome job, man. Let me ask though, Why couldn't you just fill the seam with bondo? Wouldn't that be easier?

you can see bondo beneath paint, bondo sometimes doesn't adhear properly and overtime could crack and start to fall out...

I'd agree cutting the seam, if done properly, is the correct approach. I'm not brave enought or have the talent to do it...tho, I can weld

·
Xpylut
438 Posts
My VTX has the same tank seam. I used long and short stranded Bondo to fill it. I was repainting the bike anyway.......

·
am I gonna ruin this?
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The problem with using Bondo is It may crack with continued vibration. Also I'm completely removing the seam so there is actually a small hole where the two halves of the tank were put together. Bondo may not stand up to having Gas in contact with it.

As far as just bending the seam over, It would in my opinion look kinda tacky as you will still be able to see the metal folded over, trying to smooth it out with the lines of the tank would be difficult as well. I want it to look just like the factory had done it in the first place!

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
As far as just bending the seam over, It would in my opinion look kinda tacky as you will still be able to see the metal folded over, trying to smooth it out with the lines of the tank would be difficult as well. I want it to look just like the factory had done it in the first place!
Wouldn't it have been nice if the factory HAD done it right in the first place!?! :frown:

·
frequently disturbs class
2,220 Posts
That's a bold project. I can't wait to see the final.
are you TIG welding the joint? Do you plan to pressure test it when it's done?
How soon can you do mine?

keep posting!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts