Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I hope everyone's Christmas shopping is done by now. LOL!

Anyways, I was thinking about getting the following thingy (scientific term) to help the idiots on 4 wheels avoid me at night. And also pair it with some high intensity light bulbs. Thoughts and comments are appreciated.

Safety Electronics For Motorcycles

·
Proud Hokie!!
564 Posts
That's a headlight modulator, and while are great and legal in all states for DAYTIME use, I don't believe they are legal in ANY states for nighttime use. Of course, check with your local authorities to verify.

·
The Answer Is 42
411 Posts
I've also not heard of anyplace that allows modulators to be used except in the daylight. (They typically have a photo sensor to automatically shut them off at night.)

However, Safelights Glowskin makes vests with the standard reflective strips, and with additional electroluminescent lighting that should help at night.

·
Vintage bike addict
4,812 Posts
Emergency vehicles in Ohio have flashing headlights. Probably a bad idea here.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Yup, yup...those kits do come with a photo-sensor and are meant for daytime use only. For a while I was actually thinking of getting one of those for a driving light that I was going to mount to the bottom of the fairing on the ol' 500R. I figured that if I pointed the driving light slightly downward and removed the light sensor, I had a pretty good plan for being seen at night. Turned out that the 500R has a weak electrical system so I didn't do it.

·
Power Hungry V2K Rider
6,395 Posts
Head light modulators have been around for years and are effective at making you seen during the day. Yes, they have a photosensor that turns them off in the evening so that you have standard headlights. They work and they are legal in all 50 states.

·
Registered
320 Posts
i ride with my cobra light bar on all the time at night. only time it gets cut off is when i get flashed at, then its back on once i pass that traffic. and then again when i cut off the bike for the night.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts