Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if there is a belt drive conversion kit for the VN800A? It's getting close to time for chain replacement time and thought I would look into it. If not a belt drive, what kind of sprocket upgrade should I do so I can cruise highway speeds without winding it up so high

·
Registered
869 Posts
Yes, I forget who made them. May not make them anymore though. I had an 800 with a belt conversion and it was nice, but you had to be real careful about shock loading it. That means dumping the clutch (even accidentally), or hitting the brake hard while in gear. I broke about 6 or 7 belts on mine by shocking it; manufacturer said that's "normal". Ended up selling the bike to a coworker who put a chain back on it.

Scootworks aka "Mondo-drive" was the name of it. About $700 as I recall. Cheaper to replace the chain and both sprockets.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I have been reading a lot of negative reviews on scootworks so I will probably stick with the chain.

·
Rider
6 Posts
Hi,
The stock sprockets are 17 - 42 and give you a 2.48 to 1 final gear ratio.

An 18 - 40 combination will give you a 2.22 to 1 final ratio while letting you use the stock length chain (for simpler adjustments).
The new ratio will give a noticeable improvement on the highway, with almost no performance loss in town.

Good Luck
J.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The 1st 2 years of the 800, 95-96 came with 16/46 sprockets, they REALLY need the 18/40 or some combo of better gearing. The 16/46 is what the chainguard was designed for also, kawasaki never corrected the design for a better fit after changing to the 17/42.

I also had one with the Scootworks belt drive. never had a belt problem, but don't think I'd spend the extra money again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi,
The stock sprockets are 17 - 42 and give you a 2.48 to 1 final gear ratio.

An 18 - 40 combination will give you a 2.22 to 1 final ratio while letting you use the stock length chain (for simpler adjustments).
The new ratio will give a noticeable improvement on the highway, with almost no performance loss in town.

Good Luck
J.
I swapped to a 17/38 first, then went 18/40. I think the 18/40 felt a little better all around.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts