Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Wild Rebels MC
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can you tell if your frame is bent? Is there a test? I actually flipped my Vulcan 900 over (locked up my front brake) and it landed on the seat and fell on it's side. The damage appears to be minor and cosmetic in nature, but I am wondering if I knocked anything loose or bent anything.

Thanks

·
Wild Rebels MC
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well now I am mostly. I was thrown and dislocated both shoulders, cracked some ribs, broke a shoulder blade and some bones in my hand.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
If it's mildly bent, there's really no way to tell short of taking it to a shop and having it checked out. If it's massively bent, you'll probably be able to find stress cracks or actual chips in the paint where it's bent.

The Frame Man

GP Frame and Wheel

·
Wild Rebels MC
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Stormdragon. Thanks for the reply. Are the links at the bottom of your post your shops? If so you are not too terribly far from me. I don't know if it is worth the trip since I would have to trailer the bike and drive for 5-7 hours. Do you know of anyone local to me (I am in Monterey)? Would the dealership do a good job on this?

Thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey Stormdragon. Thanks for the reply. Are the links at the bottom of your post your shops? If so you are not too terribly far from me. I don't know if it is worth the trip since I would have to trailer the bike and drive for 5-7 hours. Do you know of anyone local to me (I am in Monterey)? Would the dealership do a good job on this?

Thanks
I was told this little tip when I was looking for a used bike. pour some water on the ground and run the bike thru it. If the tire marks don't line up, it's bent sideways.

·
Need Time To Ride
3,247 Posts
Water works sometimes. I bent the frame on my 1974 Honda 750-4 years ago. The bike would make left turns easily and fast. Right turns were sluggish, required a little more effort, and just didn't feel the same. Rode if two years like that and never had a problem...I did check for cracked welds, paint, etc before deciding to keep riding it.

·
GHOSTRIDER
3,361 Posts
How can you tell if your frame is bent? Is there a test? I actually flipped my Vulcan 900 over (locked up my front brake) and it landed on the seat and fell on it's side. The damage appears to be minor and cosmetic in nature, but I am wondering if I knocked anything loose or bent anything.

Thanks
Service Manuals outline procedures to check the wheel tracking etc.A shop will center the bike up on a line(datum line)and stand the bike perfectly plumb,and begin taking measurements from various points off each side of the bikes frame. Steering stem and both wheel axles are hard points to level and center up before taking measurements off each side of the bike frame and forks.Horizontal and vertical laser levels are very handy in conducting these checks and measurements.All these checks can easily be done in a home garage floor with three parallel lines snapped 10' long at 12" centers and a framing square with a 24' level. The seat of your pants and the bars in your hand on a ride is the first and most revealing check to a bent frame.:wink:

·
Spinach Eating Moderator
22,962 Posts
You can also shine a flashlight straight down the frame tubes, and look for little shimmering cracks in the paint that don't show up when you're looking straitght at em.

Glad to hear you are still alive clown.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
You'd have to pay me to run a motorcycle shop these days. No. Neither shop is anything I'm affiliated with, but since you're in Monterey, I figured you'd appreciate the links. I hear good things about Gerry at GP frame, and my roomie used The Frame Man to get his 636 straightened after sorta accidentally lowsiding,tossing it off a small cliff, (and down a hillside, narrowly missing a sharp drainage ditch and a large oak.):eek:

I'm sure you'd do well with either shop. ;)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Well now I am mostly. I was thrown and dislocated both shoulders, cracked some ribs, broke a shoulder blade and some bones in my hand.
So no big problems then eh ?. So you got yourself up, dusted yourself off and started all over again then ?. Jees if you regard yourself as 'OK' after that get-off you must be made of some pretty stern stuff. Respect.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
another sign of a bent frame is after driving it a day or two check the chain if its loose the frame is bent.. i really don't know what you would see on a belt drive. i would imagine a fresh wear of rubber....r....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts