Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

berg auto cluch problems??

9K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  Andynnoddy 
#1 ·
My son rides an 08 KX 65 with a Berg auto clutch in it. The bike just rips and the Berg unit works awesome....until yesterday. He pulled off the track saying his bike is running weird....then the rear wheel locked up. The bike won't run in gear, as soon as it's put in gear there's a clunk and then it dies. The bike runs in neutral though, I haven't found anything negative online about the Berg auto clutch, just the opposite it's supposed to be very durable and very reliable. If I need parts for it where do I get them?

#2 ·
Berg Racing USA, 2291 1/2 S Grand Ave, Santa Ana, CA 92705

I do not know if they have a website or not.

You may want to check the clutch for disintegrating clutch disks before you do anything else. The steels and frictions are Kawasaki items, or from other aftermarket sources. The Berg unit is just the clutch cover and spring assembly.

#4 ·
Well the Berg cluch broke.....one of the retaining pins that holds the unit to the gear sheared off, so the unit spun around and locked up. I got away lucky, some aluminium broke off the inside of the cover (tabs on the inside for strenghth), it almost busted the oil window out, but nothing else happend. The broken pin stayed in the slot....good thing.

Now to see if a machine shop can punch the remainder of the pin out and make up a new one and weld it in place, in the meantime my son will try his luck at learning to use a clutch because the stock unit is going back in.

#5 ·
your clutch is etheir burnt (kids donot realize that reving the crap out of it while holdingthe clutch halve in does ALOT of damage, but it really sint their fault) or its slipping wich is an easy fix. just open the clutch cover and they will be a large screw in the middle. turn it to the left 1/8 and test it if still stalls then 2/8 etc if those dont work call berg and ask them for info
good luck!

#8 ·
Well, I guess I have no need to get the Berg unit fixed. My son is doing awesome with the manual clutch (3hrs practice so far), he had his first go on our track yesterday and did awesome....no stalls. I did have to get a different clutch lever and perch (with off set), seems like the one that comes stock is the same for a KX 125. The Berg unit was a good stepping stone to get him used to the power increase coming from his LEM 50. I managed to get a video of him doing a wicked wheelie hitting the powerband in third gear...awesome!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.