Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I am looking to get two spare keys cut for my 2006 Vulcan 1500 classic. I ordered two blanks online (hard to find), and when I get them I will need to get them cut. I know Home Depot, Walmart, Sears, etc cut keys. At about $13 each for the blanks I just want to make sure I get them cut correctly. Where have you had your duplicates made. I checked with three local dealers in my area and they don't cut keys, just order the blanks.

Thanks,
Flanman

·
Registered
550 Posts
Your best bet might be to contact Ma Kaw. Here's why:
Most, if not all, dealers don't cut keys, and locksmiths seem to be unable to cut m/c keys.
I don't know how the locksmiths in AZ are, but around here in south Florida, they have a hard time making one that fits all the locks on the bike. When I bought my bike, the dealer couldn't find the original keys, so they called in a locksmith. Well, to shorten the story, the key only fits the ignition and the side cover! And they tried 3 or 4 times. They eventually found the original key and owner's manual, and I picked them up when I got my 600 mile service done. I got a $100 gift card, which bought a Tourmaster jacket (partially) out of the deal, so it wasn't a total loss to wait three days for delivery of the bike.
If this had been a car dealer, they most likely would have been able to cut as many new keys as I needed, using the VIN number. Not so with m/c dealers.

·
Thread Killer
1,053 Posts
My last two bikes I just went to a local locksmith to have spare keys made. No problem. :tongue: Forget about going to Home Depot et. al., or any big box store. Stealerships are no help either. I dunno, surely you can find a competent locksmith somewhere near you?

·
Premium Member
2,603 Posts
I ordered a couple key blanks online and had em cut at the local ACE hardware they work fine.

And here's a little tidbit that folks on a budget might be interested in knowing... If you have a flat file you can actually go to the local Walmart and have them cut a duplicate from key blank #21 (Walmart branded key number), then simply file the key to the right thickness. They will tell you its to thick to work -and they'll be right, but that's what the file is for :lol: I made 3 keys for the Nomad and 3 for the Ninja and they all work fine -and now I'm only losing a $1.25 key every six months instead of the (made of gold) Kawasaki keys I recieved when new 8)

YMMV

·
Registered
19,728 Posts
When a bike is uncrated, the paperwork comes with a key code. This will tell a reputable locksmith how to cut your key to fit ONLY your bike. If this is lost, you can take the ignition out, take it to said reputable locksmith, and he will make you a spare. Your dealership should have this info.

·
Missy Peregrym's #1 fan!
7,792 Posts
when i got my bike i got 2 keys and the code for my specific key. The dealer was pretty adamant about me not losing the code b/c i would need it if i needed a replacement or copies....

·
Registered
558 Posts
I usually go to locksmiths for keys, they cut the bike no problem.

·
Missy Peregrym's #1 fan!
7,792 Posts
yeh, i guess the code thing was probably more for if you lost your keys completely i figure...speaking of which... where is that code...

·
Registered
19,728 Posts
when i got my bike i got 2 keys and the code for my specific key. The dealer was pretty adamant about me not losing the code b/c i would need it if i needed a replacement or copies....
Thanks for the back-up. I work in parts at a dealership, and I take these calls every day. We have a specific locksmith that we send customers to, and we use them, also.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I lost one of my Nomad keys for a year and then found it while on a vacation in Eurica springs in one of my swiming suit pockets that I keep in my fifth wheel.

·
2005 V2K
1,509 Posts
Similar to one of the above, went to pick up the new bike, no keys! This was on a Saturday afternoon. The dealer couldn't find them and they couldn't get a locksmith in till' Monday. Long story short, they deliver the bike with new keys and code block. Later I realize the keys won't work in the fork lock. Not that big a deal, but, I'm assuming that they didn't change out the lock in the fork. For any of you guys in the know, would a locksmith be able to fix that one for me??? I don't plan on going back to the dealer, unless something major happens.

·
Shifted into first gear
131 Posts
Bought a spare key from dealer for my 08 Nomad. Took it to a locksmith today to have it cut. Mentioned some of the war stories I've read here. He said, "take the key back to the dealer for refund, and use my blank for 4.00!"
Needless to say, I took his advise.
Key he used is made in Italy, Mfg SILCA, blank is number KW14. He said to tell ya'll, if your local locksmith doesn't stock the blank, he can certainly order it. Silca is suppose to be a popular locksmith brand of blank keys.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Local small True Value hardware store near my house has been able to cut keys for my 800, my Nomad, and both Valkyries.

·
Vegas Vulcan
1,161 Posts
I bought two blanks for my 1600 at the dealer for $5.00 each. They wanted $35.00 each to cut the keys from code. Home Depot did a fine copying job at $3.00 each.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts