Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
What are your requirements?

Size? Looks? Price?

A good shop will talk you through their range and some will let you take one outside and try it on too :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am looking for a small to medium sized bag that is durable, water proof and won't blow off in high-speeds. I am not very picky about the looks, but something solid balck with map pocket would be nice... compact and stable. As always, the lower the price the better.

I have a '95 Ninja 600R and I don't think that the magentic bag will work given the sides of the tank, but I am not sure. I have not been able to fing anything in a store that is close to what I have seen online.

I was just hoping for some suggestions/recommendations on a good brand to go with and why.

Thanks,
Sarah

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
My 500R fits a tank bag just fine. I can't remember what brand I have, but it is mid-sized and has a map pocket, I never even expand it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm afraid I have an Oxford 'First' tank bag, which I don't think is that popular in the US. My landlord has one too for his ducati and my riding friend for his bandit. I ride a EX500. We all use magnetic bags. There is usually a strap to tie round your stearing head to stop the bag coming off if the magnets let go, though that is uncommon.

The oxford bag expands to about double its normal size, and has a clear map pocket on the top, detachable money pocket, rucksack straps, and a removable base with a map window on it too.

I'm sure there are similar ones in the US too. This is the one I have (us importer's site) http://www.castlesales.com/html/productDetail.psp?prodid=221&start_indx=9. They do coloured ones too for sportsbikes. like http://www.castlesales.com/html/productDetail.psp?prodid=130&start_indx=2.

Your best bet is to go to a motorcycle superstore and see what is on offer. Sometimes you can get the really expensive ones about half price, and of course the cheap ones are often discounted too. I have heard of the Oxford First that I have selling for abour £20 (UK Pounds) and they are normally over twice that. Some stores stock the same products in their own brand names.

My only comment about tank bags is it is hard to stop them scratching your tank. Grit and dirt gets under there and can damage the paint.

There are rubber mats and stick on coatings for you tank to help with this too. If you have a expensive bike with good paintwork you should ask about those too!

I know... More options and no answers, well, you need to get out there and see what you can find. I do use mine a lot (ok its always there) as there isn't room for money and a cellphone under the EX500 seat with the toolkit in :-(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts