Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there larger than stock tires you can get for a 500R? Also what are some good sticky ones? The ones I got on there now kinda scare me to lean to hard after having it slip out from under me in a parking garage. It makes me a little giddy, I'd like to have some that're more sticky.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
michellin (sp?) pilot sport

110/70/17 or 120/70/17 front
150/60/17 rear thats the biggest you can go. or so I've been told, I'm going to try this for myself when I get new tires.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah I didn't think of it being so smooth... it kinda burned the skin off my arm instead of scraping it, it was weird.

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
STICKY TIRES!!!

Check out the Perelli Diablo, Front 120/70 or 65, or 60 ZR 17 TL Diablo, and the Rear 150/60 ZR 17 TL Diablo. Someone out there MaineKawi or Freakinout...(?) sent me A copy (attachment of MCN 12 Pages of Rubber Tested to the Ragged Edge ULTIMATE TYRE GUIDE June, 18, 2003. NICE reading!!! For the 500R this is What I WILL be running...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hmm, just to add to the boring viewpoint. I have heard lots of good things about the Bridgestone BT45s, as the guy before me put one on the front I have matched it on the back. They are a good price and come with the dual compound (hard center and softer edges) so in theory should develop a flat area more slowly (I hear this can really upset your handling). There are also some good deals to be had on them. I've not had any problems with them yet but I'm not a racer, and I did not have any problems with the OEM tyre that everyone says is awful (the GT550 I think it is).

I also notice you guys are fitting the ZR rather than the H rated tyres. Does that mean you are riding over 130mph? Or just that there is little difference in cost where you are?

What kinda mileages do you guys get from your tyres?

I would say I am so boring that I could paint my bike grey(gray), but that may upset someone with a very smart silver/grey bike don't you think ljangell <wink>

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
GOOD/BETTER/BEST

ALL are dependent upon what you want and how you are using your bike. A bike used for commuting to-from work with a 1.5 mile gravel road then 22 miles of concrete and blacktop, where the Maximum Speed Limit on any part of the route is 45MPH...is most likely going to be a tough and ready long lasting touring tire. Same bike only you lived near the city and it was all blacktop and concrete, and you jumped on the Interstate at 55MPH same tire? Personally, I do live on the gravel have the 1.5 miles of it then 45 MPH blacktop till I get to either the Interstate (70MPH) or I take the US Highways at 55MPH all twisted and fun to ride on and a lot less traveled...and I can let it rip with confidence with having very sticky tires...But I don't need 130 MPH,,,just something tha twill sling shot me from 15MPH corners to 55MPH straights, over and over... I sent you a PM on this, too.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
it all depends on what you use your bike for, I commute, but also am addicted to railing, so I need some stickier tires, if you don't like to drag knee (or get very close) sticky z-rated tires aren't for you.

I also have topped 140 on my bike, although I was in a safe environment, I do like to push it over 100 on the straight backroads we have around here.

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
TOPEND

Just wondered if you had any "shudder" when you went through the 125-130MPH transition on the way to 140? Yeah, the differences between the tire prices isn't that much difference if you compare the risk factor, of just one hard fall, whether you're in town at 15 or on the highway at 65, hmm or maybe in a parking building on sealed concrete.....
Freakinout, are you using a stock fairing and windscreen or is it an aftermarket?

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Re: TOPEND

ljangell said:
Just wondered if you had any "shudder" when you went through the 125-130MPH transition on the way to 140? Yeah, the differences between the tire prices isn't that much difference if you compare the risk factor, of just one hard fall, whether you're in town at 15 or on the highway at 65, hmm or maybe in a parking building on sealed concrete.....
Freakinout, are you using a stock fairing and windscreen or is it an aftermarket?
all stock 2001, just repainted. None of those silly kawi decals.

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
SHUDDER

I like the paint (and lack of advertisement), it takes a second look to realize that is is missing something...What about the "shudder"? Do you go through a shudder like rear end or front end or middle of the bike...stage when you feel the bike "like jump" into the warp zone? Currious as to why I once felt like the rear end was shifting a couple of inches...at about 120 or so...according to my buddy...my speedo only went to 85...

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Re: SHUDDER

ljangell said:
I like the paint (and lack of advertisement), it takes a second look to realize that is is missing something...What about the "shudder"? Do you go through a shudder like rear end or front end or middle of the bike...stage when you feel the bike "like jump" into the warp zone? Currious as to why I once felt like the rear end was shifting a couple of inches...at about 120 or so...according to my buddy...my speedo only went to 85...
I hadn't really realized any shutter at 120, I mean no more than engine vibration (which is a lot at that high of sustained RPM) I don't go up there all that frequently, but I do enjoy hitting 110 on a semi-frequent basis.

·
Registered
44 Posts
On your beautiful, clean and unbadged bike... is that a sticker on the side of the fork?

Does that mean you have uprated them?

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
cjiom said:
On your beautiful, clean and unbadged bike... is that a sticker on the side of the fork?

Does that mean you have uprated them?
its a parking sticker, has to be put somewhere, front fork is out of my way.

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
STICKER

cjiom...Freakinout has some great BLOW up Pictures on here somewhere...I continued to "enhance" them and it's a Texas Inspection Sticker. The License Plate...hmmm...couldn't fix that...but it's one of a kind...for now. I have to get things in order then have a chat about a paint job with him. I received some feedback (not from him) about the exhaust pipe discoloring...I might add that POR-15 makes some great products...including a Manifold coating of three different colors. If it was my bike it would have a special place in the barn and there would be pictures of it all over my computer room (the only room that I have control over).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts