Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Or more specifically the best way to strap the bike in place. I'm gonna be goin out to phoenix with the race team I work for and there is just enough room to put my bike on the front of the trailer in front of the 2 competition trucks. I wanna bring it with so I can have my friend at the Kawi dealer in PHX tune it up for me, but wanna make sure it will make the trip safely. Whats the best technique for strapping it in place, since there will be nothing to push the front tire up against. Its just a big long flatbed trailer and the bike will be mounted sideways. Its a 96 EX500 if that helps any.

Thanks everyone
Dallas

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
You'll need to use tie down straps to keep it place as well as a wheel chock of some type. Maybe something like this:

http://www.wikco.com/bpro.html

There are others...but you get the idea.

·
Registered
30 Posts
you'll need some bar tie downs and a couple ratcheting straps. The bar tie downs will slide closer as more pressure put on them. Best way is to get it in the bed,have someone sit on it. TIe it down and go. Its a bit harder to get good enough tension by yourself. Most shops will ahve the bar tie downs for under $30. A good investment. Its come in real handy.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I've got about a million ratchet straps, and would prefer to not buy something for this one time use. I would think ratcheting from both ends would be ok, go from the bars down and forward, and from the rear pegs down and back would keep it centered and tied down. Is that not enough? I would probably have a couple extra straps on it in other places too, just in case. I'm used to strapping lots of gear in my 4x4 to keep it in during a rollover so usually everything is pretty dang secure, just haven't moved a bike in this fashion before.

My friend used to work at Valley Kawasaki, which got bought out by North Valley (I think). His name is Russell, and he works in the parts dept now.

Dallas

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok I've got another question. Where are you guys hooking onto up front? I've always just strapped dirtbikes by the bars, but on this bike you cant just hook to em because they aren't tubular bent bars, also if you do tie on to where they bolt to the crowns the strap is gonna run across the fairing and possibly tear up the paint.

Thanks
Dallas

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Too strap the front I used a wratchet strap. Wrap it around the front tire and hook the non wratcheting end up to the trailer somewhere to the right of the bike. Get it kind of tight, not too tight. Then turn the front wheel to the left like you do when you park and lock the handle bars. This will hold the right side very tight. Then wratchet the left side tight and your front when will not move anywhere.

I do the same with the back tire but you can't really turn it so you just get it as tight as you can.

Then I wratchet a strap over the seat and strap it down from there. With those 3 straps I've never had a bike even try to move. So all in all you only need 3 wratchet straps. Its very symple and cheap. If you are worried about the straps rubbing on the rims or near the seat put some folded towels between the straps and the paint. I hauled a bike over 200 miles like this.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Free-standing a bike safely can be a very difficult thing to do, and, if you're only doing it once, you usually want to do it the easiest and ceapest way possible.

The best way to do this is to have 6 ratcheting straps, two of which need to be very heavy duty.

Since you're free-standing you need to secure the wheels. The best way to do this is to park with the width of the trailer (which you're doing anyway) and set the bike on it's kick stand (don't use the center stand!) directly in line with tie down perces on opposite sides of the deck. Take one heavy ratchet strap and run from one side of the trailer, pass through the rear wheel (or which ever one you come to first) from the left side to the right so that the strap lays flat across the rim at it's lowest point, then go from the right side out the left on the front wheel in the same fashion, then tie down to perch on opposite side of deck. Ratchet it down and allow the bike to move with the strap as it needs to. Then, with the other heavy strap, do the same thing but from the opposite side of the deck, thorugh the opposite sides of the wheels, and tighten it down to the perch you started from.

Now, if you did that right, that bike is not going ANYWHERE...might fall over but it'll stay on the trailer. Use the other four straps the secure from anywhere on the frame to secure the bike from falling over during braking or anything.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts