Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used any of the current big bore kits for the mean streak? I am looking for dyno numbers and overall performance. Iam interested in any of the kits from Muzzys, Thunder or Sherms. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
On a FI bike I was told that stage 2 would produce about 5 hp. Pistons, cams, valves,.. the works 5 hp. Call Sherms- they might have had better results. I e-mailed them and they said to call.

Now this isn't a big bore kit but this will make your Meanie very, *very* mean:
http://www.mrturbo.com/kit_vulcan.htm

Try 120 hp at the rear wheel :twisted: Weeeee!

Phatboy

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
big bore kits

That turbo sounds interesting but then I have to change my exhaust and intake again. I now have HardKrome Kickers, Thunder Hurricane intake, and PC3. Any idea how much that turbo costs? Thunder claims to be able to get 100+ hp and torque with the B.B. kit and head work. I am sure this is flywheel measurements, not on the ground power. I guess I need to give them a call and see what they have to say. I was just hoping to get an honest opinion from someone that has it already, not some salesman. Thanks

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

i agree with phat-stage II setups don't reap enough hp vs $ on these bikes
in my worthless opinion :lol:

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I spoke to Mr. Turbo a couple of times this year. He informed me that the company that makes Aerodyne turbo has been involved in litigation for the past of couple of years and has not made any turbo that is used on the Vulcan turbo kit. He likes the Aerodyne turbo because it is self lubricating (doesn't require any external source of oil for bearing lubrication) and can be mounted almost anywhere. Also, his turbo kit is made specifically based on the Aerodyne turbine and switching to another turbo will require him to retool his machine. Since he has not had a lot of request for the Turbo kit, he is not willing to switch to another turbo. I think he told me the entire kit will cost around $4200 for the Man Streak.

He also told me he is in continuing contact with the Aerodyne turbo maker and said they will start making the turbo very soon.

I also obtain few other info regarding the turbo kit:
- has about 6 1/2 lb boost
- Stock engine will work OK w/o the intercooler or forged piston as long as you don't exceed the 6 1/2 lb boost
- Has a very good throttle response even at low RPM

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Or there is another option :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

The Vn2000's motor is *only* 2 mm taller than the 1600. You can be the first to do an engine swap. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I have no clue if this is feasible. Just a thought.

Phatty

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
big bore kits

Now we are talking, a 2000cc mean streak would stomp buddy's nitrous harley! My stage 1 mean streak can almost keep up now. I think I will check with some of the salvage outlets around here and see if anybody has wrecked one yet. Thanks

·
RIP Deron Harden :-(
32,545 Posts
big bore

to my knowledge the water cooled v-twin kawi motors cannot benefit from a big bore kit. the water jets in the cylinders prevent any overboring over a minute size. i also looked into it for my nomad and that is what i found. i have considered doing a mean streak 1600 swap, but the benefit would not outweigh the cost. good luck with getting more oomph.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
ispeed77,

Very interesting. I spoke to Sherms a few weeks ago about their big bore kit. If I remember correctly, they said that for the 1600 Mean Streak engine, the size will go from 95 cubic inches to 101 cubic inches (I think this is about 100 cc increase). Based on your previous research, does this seem reasonable?

·
32,545 Posts
big bore

ppark,
i am not an engine guy, but i could have swarn i read that the cylinders could only be overbored about 0.002" or somewhere around there. just for comparison, i know that a normal rebuild of a automobile motor involves 0.030" overbore. not sure if that info that i read was correct, but if it was, i don't imagine that giving you the increase that you were told. i hope your info is correct because i would love to do a big bore on my 1500 especially seeing that the nomad is a 1600 for 2005, dam ! let me know if you come up with anything. thanks.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
ispeed77,

Thanks for the info. I am probably like everyone else, waiting for someone else to get the big bore done and seeing the dyno numbers. It’s a lot of money to take a chance on. The cheapest way to go is to be happy with what I got (which I am) and just enjoy the ride. FYI - when I spoke to Sherms before, they said their 1500 Mean Streak that ran on the Bonneville speed record trial had the big bore kit done on it and made ~ 110 hp (not sure if at the wheel or at the crankcase). I wish I could get an independent verification on this.

I recently started shifting my Mean Streak past 4000 RPM (I used to shift around 3000 RPM) and the bike seems to run much smoother, not to mention the feeling of more power. I am going to reset my TFI RPM (4th pot) pot setting to 9 o’clock position from the current 5:30 setting. The 5:30 setting is based on information from Sherms – this corresponds to the red pot setting kicking in at 2700 RPM. I got information from the company that makes TFI and they told me to set the RPM pot at 9 which will correspond to red pot setting kicking in at 3800 RPM. Maybe this will give me some extra power.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Big bore Kit-More HP!

I have a 2000 Vulcan Classic 1500 carb.Had the 410 kit from Thunder mfg. installed-getting ready to toss the Vance & Hines Longshots and install Vance & Hines Pro-Pipe. As of now with the Longshots-this puppy is putting out 89 hp at the rear wheel-torgue at 101lbs. At the same time-new manifold goes on-so in theory,hp should jump between 10-14 hp's.So,if anyone wants a nice looking Longshot-e-mail me.And as always,If your gonna do it-do it TEXASSTYLE.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

i have not seen too much head work on the 1600 motors that did not
have some issues - i don't think its worth it :wink:

·
Registered
132 Posts
bikeaholic said:
i have not seen too much head work on the 1600 motors that did not
have some issues - i don't think its worth it :wink:

These bikes are cruisers so I don't think any motorwork would be worth it. I have a 2000 Suzuki Hayabusa that I had motorwork done on. It made 165rwhp when I took it in. After head work and cams it now makes 210+rwhp. It cost me $3,100, but I had to do it cuz I blew the stock motor, so I wasn't gonna put it back together stock. I think it was worth it, cuz it's unbelievably fast now and I can still bore it out and put bigger pistons in it and if I really wanna get funky I can stroke it a little as well. But we're talking about serious rwhp gains. Doing motorwork for 5rwhp or even 10rwhp is not worth it in my opinion unless you're racing for money.

I put a nice pipe and air intake on my Meanie and I picked up what I would consider to be substantial gains in power, but I still have reliability and I still have the warrenty. Once you go into the motor, you better expect to have some problems. But that's just my opinion.

·
32,545 Posts
i actually did some reading and was considering doing the thunder big bore and having the heads flowed. after considerable talk with some local gearheads, i decided not to go through with it. most of the experience anyone had with motor work on a liquid cooled bike motor only led to problems with reliability down the road. now that's not to say it can't be done, as a lot of people do it, but it wasn't worth the reliability risk for me. especially since the bike goes right along anyways, i just wanted MORE !

·
Registered
244 Posts
Good thing you had the heads and cams retuned on the Busa Btreaves, cuz it's not like that bike was unbelievably fast or anything BEFORE you had it modded. :rolleyes:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts