Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
The little guy said it.
17,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I had a moment of excitement today.

I was making a left turn at an intersection from a stop. I was accelerating and transitioning into the turn and, since the light had changed color already, got on the throttle.

ALMOST a big mistake. The intersection in particular is this one:

(the red line denotes my path of travel)

And yes, it's got that huge, slippery paw print painted on the center of it. That's where I was at when I gave the bike throttle. Well, the back end begins to kick out to the right, and here's where things happened so fast I didn't remember doing it until I thought back to it.

The back end kicks out. Instinctively, I countersteer into the turn, and lean my body to the right to counteract the left lean. I managed to keep the bike upright enough to barely drag the left pipe, and then, suddenly, the bike snaps upright again, and I'm heading down the road that I was turning onto.

As I tried to accelerate away, I noticed the bike was now in neutral - I'm not quite sure how that happened. I guess it just kinda popped into neutral or I subconsciously shifted it into neutral.

I popped the bike back into gear and away I went.

So, I guess big, painted paws on the road should be treated with caution, eh? :lol:

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Who's the idiot who got that put there?
That is one of the dumbest and most dangerous ad placements I have ever seen.
I hope you plan on avoiding that intersection during and after it rains?

You might have a case against the city for any damages to your bike caused by unsafe driving conditions that THEY caused?

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
Any paint on the roadway is asking for accidents. I wonder in this case the city/university thought of this before hand? Maybe a lawsuit is needed?

I'd imagine a car would have trouble if all four tires were on the painted area when brakes were applied(skid/spin/smash?).

·
Registered
106 Posts
I agree...that is a TERRIBLE idea. I'd definitely write up a formal complaint to the city and make sure they have it on record for any future accident that occurs at that intersection when it rains. There will be accidents there.

·
I'm your Huckleberry
3,317 Posts
I agree...that is a TERRIBLE idea. I'd definitely write up a formal complaint to the city and make sure they have it on record for any future accident that occurs at that intersection when it rains. There will be accidents there.
I agree...submit a formal complaint about it. May help legally if you end up in that intersection again and it doesn't turn out so well.

I'm all for spirit...there are 'big' paws painted on some of the roadways around here...but none that take up the ENTIRE road surface like that.

·
Warning V2k Onboard
1,585 Posts
Must be time to pass a law against having anything slippery on the road even if it is blindingly obvious.
Perhaps a warning label on streets saying something like, Warning , road surface may not be consistent, or just, Warning, contents of coffee cup may be hot.

·
I'm your Huckleberry
3,317 Posts
Must be time to pass a law against having anything slippery on the road even if it is blindingly obvious.
Perhaps a warning label on streets saying something like, Warning , road surface may not be consistent, or just, Warning, contents of coffee cup may be hot.
Its one thing to have painted lines...its quite another to completely fill an intersection with a painted image for vanity's sake.

·
Registered
106 Posts
You comment would have some merit if you HAD to spill the coffee on yourself like you HAVE to drive/ride across that big painted intersection.

·
Registered
125 Posts
hmm not going to discuss the legality of next few things but.....

do you know anyone with a decent muscle car? park in the middle & do a nasty burn out, melt into the pavement, & leave a burn out impression across it.

I still have my old muscle car but its been off road a few years..... but I would think seriously of doing something like that if my areas had something stupid like that.

it will get their attention, & it would have to be repaved or patched over.
my old muscle car would spin at will & I could even melt cuss words into the pavement 20 years ago with it, but I tamed way down before I stopped driving it.

maybe pick up a couple cans of a puke green & yellow & stop on it & empty contents, give the city an eye sore. or ride with a friend on back of a truck & dump some tar across it...

find out who on planning commision had it done, or commisioned it & do a mural on his driveway. or similiar....

Randy

·
We need a Sarcasm Font!
3,864 Posts
Lesson learned, don't ride through Toomers' Corner on the bike, eh?

**** those Tigers!!

BTW, are the paws still on the Interstate exit?

·
The little guy said it.
17,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lesson learned, don't ride through Toomers' Corner on the bike, eh?

**** those Tigers!!

BTW, are the paws still on the Interstate exit?
Nope, they're gone. There's smaller ones elsewhere though.

·
The little guy said it.
17,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ya know, the general consensus here seems to line up with what I've been thinking for some time - that a big painted surface lends itself to traffic risk.

The general logic they have is that the intersection is a high-traffic, low-speed (Yeah, right! This is a college town we're talking about) intersection and that the paint doesn't cause any traction issues (Not so, as evidenced in my case).

However, the paint they've chosen is slick and probably VERY slick int he rain, although I've not had any problems with it driving a cage through that intersection.

Still, there is definitely a case for using a different type of marking for the intersection, but as it stands, I don't think my complaint would get very far - I would need a lot of support from the student body on this one, and most of them are too blinded by school spirit to want to see the big tiger paw at Toomer's Corner removed.

Maybe a little research would turn up some info for paint that doesn't cause a huge loss of traction?

do you know anyone with a decent muscle car? park in the middle & do a nasty burn out, melt into the pavement, & leave a burn out impression across it.
I could do that with my Dakota 5.9 R/T but I'd rather not have it impounded :lol:

·
Registered
125 Posts
I could do that with my Dakota 5.9 R/T but I'd rather not have it impounded :lol:
I guess you live around the college town of Clemson? the clemson tigers?

you do something like this in the middle of the night, & a couple miles before you get there, use dead tags not registered to you duck taped over your plates, & as long as no police are in the imediate vicinity no real problems... get there get it done & get out. in a couple miles remove bad tags & your pretty much home free.

if you get pulled with the dead tags your real tags are under them & you "didnt pay attention" & some joker put tags over your plates to try to get you pulled, & you dont know how long they been on. lol. lol. lol.

I have drove a 600 mile round trip over night with dead tags to do something & go to work the next day bright & early & no traceable evidence. it wasnt any major crime, as if it was, I wouldnt mention it here, but just retaliation against one individual. I have used dead tags while traveling & blasting through red stop lights with photo radar just for fun wearing a ski mask & doing a one finger salute. but I have been calmed down close to 7 years. but lived hard, & on the edge for 20 years, but lets just say I used to be quite a handfull, & no one crossed me, no one!

Randy

·
The Bassman Rocketh
25,244 Posts
So, I had a moment of excitement today.

The back end kicks out. Instinctively, I countersteer into the turn, and lean my body to the right to counteract the left lean. I managed to keep the bike upright enough to barely drag the left pipe, and then, suddenly, the bike snaps upright again, and I'm heading down the road that I was turning onto.
Ok, obviously, the big painted paw in the middle if the intersection is a bad idea but, after reading this, I gotta ask, Donnie...

Did ya make the :eek: face or did ya cruise out of the intersection lookin' like "Yeah, I meant to do that!"

:)

·
Registered
152 Posts
PLEASE reconsider following through - I can't believe this was allowed!

A short Letter to the Editor, not critical of the school/team spirit, but pointing out the danger of this placement when wet will probably result in others writing with their bad experiences with this intersection. I can't believe you're the only person who has slipped on this surface. You'd be amazed how important the Town/Gown relationship is, and the negative press might have the desired results without you being the bad guy.

At the very least, print down this entire thread and send it to the head Paw-person!

·
Warning V2k Onboard
1,585 Posts

As I tried to accelerate away, I noticed the bike was now in neutral - I'm not quite sure how that happened. I guess it just kinda popped into neutral or I subconsciously shifted it into neutral.

I popped the bike back into gear and away I went.
Since my other post here was written using the invisible sarcasm font, I'll use the normal font on this one.

The simple explanation for neutral is, as the bike leaned to the left you put your foot out, it may or may not have touched the ground, but as you brought it back to position you hit the heal shifter which knocked it into neutral.

·
Hardcore Poser
151 Posts
I guess you live around the college town of Clemson? the clemson tigers?

you do something like this in the middle of the night, & a couple miles before you get there, use dead tags not registered to you duck taped over your plates, & as long as no police are in the imediate vicinity no real problems... get there get it done & get out. in a couple miles remove bad tags & your pretty much home free.

if you get pulled with the dead tags your real tags are under them & you "didnt pay attention" & some joker put tags over your plates to try to get you pulled, & you dont know how long they been on. lol. lol. lol.

I have drove a 600 mile round trip over night with dead tags to do something & go to work the next day bright & early & no traceable evidence. it wasnt any major crime, as if it was, I wouldnt mention it here, but just retaliation against one individual. I have used dead tags while traveling & blasting through red stop lights with photo radar just for fun wearing a ski mask & doing a one finger salute. but I have been calmed down close to 7 years. but lived hard, & on the edge for 20 years, but lets just say I used to be quite a handfull, & no one crossed me, no one!

Randy
I am a huge Clemson fan as I grew up in that area. From what I remember I think Toomer's Corner is Auburn, though my wife says I'm wrong more than I'm right. But Clemson, SC has those paws all over the place also. Enough to cause a pucker sensatiion when you hit them too fast when it's wet.

·
Registered
125 Posts
where I live there is alot worse than slippery surfaces...

2 times in last month I had to slam on brakes for Guinneas, very close to the size of a turkey, sometimes wild turkeys, most people are aware of deer out, but, how about bears? & various other animals. I guess the bears are hibernating presently, but wait until summer.

Later,
Randy

·
'06 V2K, Baby!
2,325 Posts
I am a huge Clemson fan as I grew up in that area. From what I remember I think Toomer's Corner is Auburn, though my wife says I'm wrong more than I'm right. But Clemson, SC has those paws all over the place also. Enough to cause a pucker sensatiion when you hit them too fast when it's wet.
As an Auburn grad, I remember Toomer's corner. However, that road shows lanes split by vegetation - I don't remember that in the streets (though it was a couple decades ago that I graduated).

If it's not Auburn, then Auburn has a paw, too, though.

Link to live cam.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts