Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Bike dies right after put into gear. HELP!

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  wtee85 
#1 ·
Okay i own a 1999 KLR 250 Kawasaki. Its a dual sport for anybody thats not familiar with it. Okay heres the problem. I can start the bike no problem at all. As soon as i put it in gear and let off the clutch it dies. It does not cut out or anything it just stops running, like something is turning it off. The bike doesnt even jump forward if i were to let the clutch out normally..just dies, no jump no nothing. WHATS THE PROBLEM HELP! Its frustrating. I dont know where to start to fix the problem. Please help me.

Could it be the side stand switch? If so.. where the hell is that? I dont think mine has one..

#2 ·
Its More than Likely the Kickstand Cutoff switch witch is a way for the Bike to know not to take off With the kickstand down..I had the Same problem On my Ninja...youd go to Let clutch out..No jump...no Idle Issues...Just Died exactly like you are describing. So, I Had the Kickstand cutoff switch fixed and Its never done it or anything like it Since.

Hope i could help. :twisted:

#5 ·
Go to http://www.buykawasaki.com/ and look your bike up in the Parts Diagram section. In the "Stand(s)" view for the KL250-D16 it shows "Switch, Side Stand", part number 27010-1189, and shows you what it looks like. Even though it doesn't show you very well where it's at on the bike, you can see what it looks like. It's got to be close enough to the side stand for the stand to actuate the switch when it's raised.

If it's not there, look for a couple of wires in the area around where it would have to be to make contact with the stand in the raised position. The switch may have been removed and the wiring altered (bypassed switch). Maybe the bypass job has failed...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.