Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got a fun little problem...First of all my bike is 96 zx6e.
A little background. Bike flooded about a month ago, new spark plugs and it worked fine.
Dropped it at about 25 mph. Cosmetic damage, doesnt seem like anything bad.

The last couple days, the bike has died while coming to a stop with the clutch in. It will run fine, and has no problem with power or rough acceleration. The only time it has happened has been while coming to a stop with the clutch in. There was one other time where I had just stopped and let it idle when it died. All three times it started right back up and ran without fuss. Sometimes it will start without the choke, other times I have to use it, and then it has started to not start lately. It will take me waiting about 10 minutes for it just to start right up, again without any more fuss. Can anybody tell me what is going on?

·
Premium Member
2,408 Posts
This is a shot in the dark, but you might have messed to the seals in the carbs.... meaning one of the carbs is leaking.... or you might just need to turn the idle up.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I see you're in West Palm Beach. If you're still there the below probably isn't the reason, but if you've moved someplace colder it could be.

I've found my bike to have similar issues if I don't let it warm up properly and then head out when it is really cold (30's). Basically, I ran into the issue when I started the bike, let it warm up for about 30 seconds, took off, and released the choke. When coming to a stop at a light the bike just died. It did that a few times until I got it properly warmed up. I've not experienced the problem since because I now let the bike warm up a bit more before taking off.

Of course, there are several other things it could be:
1. You're idle could be too low.
2. There could be an obstruction in your throttle bodies (keeping them from closing properly).
3. There could be a minor vacuum leak somewhere.
4. etc.

I hope one of these thoughts helps a bit.

·
Life Begins at 200 mph
1,387 Posts
New plugs and you could have a flooding issue during a particular RPM range.

I know you didn't add any new parts but when I added a Akrapovic Full exhaust, filters, and PC3 to my zx-12 it was flooding in the 3-4k range. No ruff idle, started right up and ran like a beast, but when I was curising around in that range and would pull the clutch in to shift down and stop, poof the thing was flooded.

When I took it to get tuned on the dyno, they had to take out over 14 parts of fuel from that range. It was reading off the scale.

Maybe from your drop, you knocked somthing out of whack.

Try the plugs first though.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I changed plugs about a month ago. (See first post) If I have to change them again thats a little to frequent.

Ive tried warming it up longer with the choke on longer and raised the idle a little it. It hasnt died over the last two or three days.

Is it possible that the coils are going bad?

·
Life Begins at 200 mph
1,387 Posts
I changed plugs about a month ago. (See first post) If I have to change them again thats a little to frequent.

Ive tried warming it up longer with the choke on longer and raised the idle a little it. It hasnt died over the last two or three days.

Is it possible that the coils are going bad?
If the plugs are bad again, then you may still be flooding it out and bad.

If you have let it warm up longer and raised the idle and it helped, you might have knocked the idle out of adjustment a bit. I say see if the problem stays fixed with the newly adjusted idle. If it does I'd say the bike was just having an "Anal" moment :lol:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had a plug problem with my VFR400 this year. I'd left it in my UK garage when I was living in Berlin for a couple of years. The plugs had gone off. Symptoms were typical of this type of failure......idling really roughly with variable revs, lack of acceleration pick up at times and dying at idle from time to time. Increasing the idle helped but the other symptoms persisted. Sound familiar....if not then I'd suggest it's not the plugs.

But if I could predict things that well I suppose I'd be a rich gambler....and I'm not !!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The idle has helped a little bit, the other day it seemed that once I took the choke off it didnt run that great. Two minutes later it did. The last couple days it has started great, with no choke, but today it wouldnt start with either. I let it chilax for a little while with the key off (about 2 minutes) tried one more time with no choke and nothing. Without doing anything different, adding choke or turning it off again, it started right up. I went to school, left after a half hour and it started up fine. What the heck is going on!? If the plugs were bad it doesnt make sense that sometimes it wont start then minutes later it will.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts