Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I get my bike (09 Ninja 650R, poor thing only has 110 miles on it) ready for a quick ride the other day. I get it out of the garage and I leave it in the driveway. I go to close the garage door and when I turned back around, I see my bike falling over. Broken clutch lever, mirror, and fairing plus a few minor scratches. All in all, a $345 fall plus the time it will take me to install the new parts.

Of course now I'm thinking that frame sliders might have helped out a little here. The fairing alone is costing me $250 so I figure that spending the money on frame sliders might be the way to go. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on what to install? I've been looking for no-cut sliders but I don't know much about them. Has anyone used these?

·
Serial Sport Rider
638 Posts
I'm just spitballing here, but why replace your fairing? LEave the dinged up monster on there until you have some seat time built up. Staistically speaking, you're going to be picking up your bike a couple more times...

·
Registered
35 Posts
I dropped my '14 - while attempting to do that blasted MSF figure-eight box - and I'm certain that my frame sliders saved me serious $$$. Aside from a couple of light scratches to the left mirror, my bike was unscathed. So, frame sliders can definitely help in certain situations; they could also help to keep your leg from getting squashed between the bike and the ground...

·
Registered
27 Posts
I dropped my bike cause I was on an uneven driveway about 2 weeks after I got it. I didn't have frame sliders then, but the bike fell on me lol, so I saved it from taking the brunt of the fall. Ended up cracking the bottom-half of my left fairing with my steel toes, but no one can see it so I left it. Lesson learned, don't do weird maneuvers on uneven surfaces, and don't ride with a twisted ankle, it just doesn't support the weight like it should :)

·
Retired High Miler
1,209 Posts
Bought a new 2006 900lt. Rode it home from the dealer. Parked in my nice level parking spot. Got off to admire the bike. Bike fell over. You have to put down the stand EVERY time.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Bought a new 2006 900lt. Rode it home from the dealer. Parked in my nice level parking spot. Got off to admire the bike. Bike fell over. You have to put down the stand EVERY time.
rofl

·
Registered
437 Posts
Yeah had that happen at a toll booth back in the day in Va Bch. Shut down every lane while like 6 toll booth ladies lifted the bike off of me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the advice!
I already ordered the parts (including the fairing) but I think I'll take A-J's advice and leave it off for at least a few hundred more miles.

About the Frame sliders, sad part is that I never even heard of frame sliders until I started researching parts for my bike.

Oh, and how it actually hapened; In retrospect, you would think I was trying to drop the bike. I was parked on a decline (bike pointing downhill), in netral, with the motor running. Got off the bike to walk 10 feet to close the garage and it fell right over. I learned an expensive lesson that day. But at least now I'll finally be able to install a power-port since I'll have the fairing off soemday.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I'm just spitballing here, but why replace your fairing? LEave the dinged up monster on there until you have some seat time built up. Staistically speaking, you're going to be picking up your bike a couple more times...
true.

The '07 650R I had (plasma blue metallic) I was getting used to the brakes on it on the backroads, and just before I stopped I locked the front on some sand. It fell over, bending the rear brake pedal kinda funny (straightened pretty easy) and dinged the fairing.

It fell over a few more times... forgetting to put kickstand down, backing up with it, backing up and hitting a pothole with front wheel, all sorts of crap.

If you want a new fairing or to get yours repaired (sand it down with coarse paper, clean it off, use filler putty, then sand it smooth to match original contours with finer grit), get the RG sliders FIRST!

I'm selling a set on ebay! Not 100% sure if they fit or not, but I don't think they redid the frame for the current ones.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'm selling a set on ebay! Not 100% sure if they fit or not, but I don't think they redid the frame for the current ones.
The '07 fairings won't fit the '09. The completely redesigned the bike for '09.

·
GHOSTRIDER
3,361 Posts
Yeah had that happen at a toll booth back in the day in Va Bch. Shut down every lane while like 6 toll booth ladies lifted the bike off of me.
:lol: Oh thats good, thats real good! I can see them people behind you honking their horns ,heads shaking while somebody screams "drunken bikers!":lol: Mine pinned me against a small refrigerator "inside" a motel room last summer!:eek: Forgot to put the kickstand down :oops:

·
Registered
264 Posts
MSF instructor told us, "NEVER turn yor back on your bike. It is watching... it will fall on top of you." :)

Brian

1 - 18 of 18 Posts