Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was riding my 1990 ninja 600 d the other day when i pulled up to a stop sign and heard clicking. As i started to ride it the noise got louder and louder. I put it in the shop and they said it was my cam shaft tensioner. They replaced the little tensioner thing and now it still runs bad. It only wants to run on the choke. Is it possible it jumped time and thats why it runs bad or could it be one of my valves is to loose or seized and thats what causes it to run like crap..?? it still has clicking noise and it gets louder with increased throttle. It now dies when i try to let the clutch out to ride it.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have no idea but welcome to the forum and we hope to still see you around after your problem gets fixed, bump to help this guy it sucks when you cant ride your bike im stuck in the same situation

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It clicks in the engine on the right side it sounds like.. It does it anytime i start the bike. if i can get it started.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Did it run properly when you picked it up from the shop? If they just replaced the tensioner and didn't check the cam timing, and gave it back to you in this state, I'd take it back to them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no it ran worst when i got it out of the shop. i road it to the shop and it had to be taken on trailer home after they replaced the tensioner. they said it prolly is a valve...but i think it has something to do with the timing

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
When is the last time you did clutch work?? Maybe a little spring flopping around in there? hmmmmmmmmmm bad lifter?? I don't know but I would imagine that they are hydraulic lifters so, if thats the case sometimes the little oil hole on the lifter itself gets plugged and can't fill properly causing them to get a lttle loose(for lack of a better term) in there. I've also seen this problem fix itself, not that I'm suggesting to just let it be...
Anyhoo my .02 ;) good luck

·
Registered
286 Posts
My cam timing chain was off by a few teeth. It makes it very difficult to start or run, but there was no clicking. Sounds like a valve problem to me. A loose valve will get worse with time and your seems to be getting worse. If you are able, you can do it urself. Its not too bad, I did it a while ago. You'll learn a lot too.

And you can check your timing while you're in there.

you'll need a manual for all the specs. and a long feeler guage. I got mine at a motorcycle service shop.

·
Registered
22,566 Posts
bad lifter?? I don't know but I would imagine that they are hydraulic lifters so, if thats the case sometimes the little oil hole on the lifter itself gets plugged and can't fill properly causing them to get a lttle loose(for lack of a better term) in there. I've also seen this problem fix itself, not that I'm suggesting to just let it be...
Anyhoo my .02 ;) good luck
really man, would you at least look on some parts fiche before you go typing a lot of trash.

I'm keeping your .02 though.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
really man, would you at least look on some parts fiche before you go typing a lot of trash.

I'm keeping your .02 though.
ooooh Harsh but fair :biggrin:

Zed are you sure he can't Imagine them into Hydraulic lifters ?????..............:eek:

·
Registered
22,566 Posts
ooooh Harsh but fair :biggrin:

Zed are you sure he can't Imagine them into Hydraulic lifters ?????..............:eek:
I"m glad he is trying to help but if they don't know what they are talking about just keep moving to the next topic.

I'm thinking there is way more wrong with this bike. problems needing fixed before you can get to others. we know one thing for sure, we aren't being told much of the truth, cussy never tells the whole truth.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
If nothing else, I'd definitely check the blinker fluid.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Im going to look at it tommorrow for sure and ill be sure to check that blinker fluid first there jimmy d. you have great suggestions listening to you ill have it running in no time>>> : p

·
The Cruising Gunsmith
1,459 Posts
Now, I'll admit I'm old and slow... but when I read this part in the OP:

As i started to ride it the noise got louder and louder. I put it in the shop and they said it was my cam shaft tensioner. They replaced the little tensioner thing and now it still runs bad.
The firt thing that came into my mind was: "WTH didn't you take it back to the shop and beat the crap out of them?"

See.... when I take something to a professional to be fixed and he says it is "X"... and then I pay him to fix "X"....... if it is still screwed up after that, I go straight back and read him the riot act.

Maybe that's just me.....

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
See.... when I take something to a professional to be fixed and he says it is "X"... and then I pay him to fix "X"....... if it is still screwed up after that, I go straight back and read him the riot act.

Maybe that's just me.....
No. Not just you. See my other post above. ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts