Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 Vulcan classic 900 which I bought last year. I'm fairly new to riding. Two days ago I was riding and had gone about 40km/30miles and the bike just shut down. At first I thought I stalled it. I put in N and tried to start and I heard the starter engaging but bike would not turn over. I waited about an hour while waiting for a tow and decided to try again. The bike started. I cancelled the tow and resume riding getting within 15 km home when the bike stopped again. Wouldn't restart so was towed home. Any thoughts very much appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't been able to as yet and thanks for the suggestion. Has the bike got a safety shutdown for low engine oil level?

·
Registered
511 Posts
I am not aware of a safety shutdown for low oil level. Do not panic, but low oil or no oil could be one explanation of what happened. It also could be bad battery or something electrical. Checking oil level is the fastest, easiest thing to do which is why I asked. Once we eliminate oil we can move on to other causes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for that. Just checked the oil level, it's fine. I tested the battery and it's okay. I imagine the charge is draining while driving and something is preventing it from charging . I believe the battery is needed for electronic fuel system and the fuel pump is shutting down and in turn stopping the bike.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Ok good. But bear in mind that the health of a battery cannot be determined just by voltage. It needs a load test.

The bike not charging the battery is a good theory and easy to test. With a voltmeter on the battery start the bike and record the voltage at idle. Then rev the bike to about 4,000 RPM and hold it there. Record the voltage you got at 4,000. The voltage at 4,000 RPM should be up around 14 volts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks but I took the battery to a battery shop who did a load test and they told me battery was good.
Ok good. But bear in mind that the health of a battery cannot be determined just by voltage. It needs a load test.

The bike not charging the battery is a good theory and easy to test. With a voltmeter on the battery start the bike and record the voltage at idle. Then rev the bike to about 4,000 RPM and hold it there. Record the voltage you got at 4,000. The voltage at 4,000 RPM should be up around 14 volts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts