Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
VN900
208 Posts
I don't know it the lift points are correct or not. I have used the Pit Bull "New Front" stand on my Eliminator, which lifts under the triple, and works great! That bike is harder to figure out how to lift it for wheel removal than my Vulcan.

·
Obfuscation Engineer
6,704 Posts
handy industries . I don't like substitutes but i do understand that the near 2k price prohibits the purchase for all but a few home mechanics . I just think it's a far safer proposition than half way , made in china or any center support lifts .
The purchase of a full size el-cheapo will still set you back near $500 and will in the long run be money wasted due to , well use your imagination . in this case even for week end occasional use just get good quality full size lift .

~kop

·
Swingin like a monkey
814 Posts
I believe these are designed for sport bikes and dirt bikes. Not sure they'd be strong enough for the weight of a cruiser, especially a 1500.

·
VN 900 Classtom
1,689 Posts
I made mine for next to nothing out of scrap I had in my shop. Like this:

$20 Bike Lift
+1
I built my pinoquio jack for much less!!
I went to the local hardware store and got two 2x8 precut to amost 4 feet and for some reason the customer left them so I got them for $0.51 cents each. My buddie had liquid nails and I had some wood screws on my house. The only thing I'm missing is a permanent metal tube but for now using a small bar from my auto jack. This pinoquio jack (or so I named it) is much firmer and holds the bike much better than the jack I have seating in my garege that belongs to a friend. With my friends jack the bike when on it wobbles due to the design of the oil pan is on the way of the jack and the motorcyle frame.

·
Machinist For Sale/Rent
1,234 Posts
I totally agree with kopcicle, if you have the room to use it then your safety is worth more than $2k. I have a handy lift, full flat table, bought it 12 years ago, for $1110 in the box( group buy). Did not get the extra side boards to adapt it to ATV use. I have built an additional upright stand to use with it for safely pulling one tire at a time off bikes with no center stand. I have a Yamaha Venture(800+pounds) and it will lift it with full stability in only 3 seconds from the floor to all the way up.

·
Sick Puppy
3,210 Posts
I picked up a motorcycle jack from Harbor Freight on sale with a discount coupon for $118. Harbor Freight Picks up the bike very easy and stable.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I have a Craftsman Professional 1500 lb. Motorcycle/ATV Jack I think they call it. It is the yellow one not the red low dollar one. I read a bunch of reviews and quite a few said the least expensive one sears had often worked once or twice and then the jack went south. All the reviews I read on the ATV jack were good. I have had mine for 4yr and never had an issue with it. I think part of the deciding was I had some gift cards to use there too. It runs $199 but often is on sale for 179. The other one they have is red and is $119 but is rated @ 1500 also suposedly.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Use the cheapo Sears one all the time. I think my reviews of the reviewers is more accurate. You shouldn't give tools to monkeys. That said, you've certainly done no harm buying the more expensive one. One of the negative reviews I read about the cheapo Sears unit was complaining that he used it once, then set it out behind the shop and it got all rusted up after six months in the weather. Golly gee whiz.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Yea cant imagine why it would seize up layig around out in the weather. Goes to show you cant fix stupid. Also a couple of the review that said thiers work OK suggested maybe the folks were not using the saftey lock and making the jack hold the pressure all the time. Colud have something there. I know a couple of the jack deals I looked at I think one at harbor freight looked like a guy could buy just a standard bottle jack and replace the one in it if it went bad.

·
Sick Puppy
3,210 Posts
One concern that led me away from Sears was that there were no replacement parts listed for it. The one I got from Harbor Freight looks like a regular floor jack in design, and has a full listing of replacement parts. I lifted my Indian Scout on it and could even move the bike across the garage on it.

·
Registered
561 Posts
The high lift from HF works well. One draw back is it is stationary and cannot move with the bike on it. $119 with the 20% off coupon.

When I back the stored car off, I can bolt a Condor Chock to this and do the bike.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts