Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into getting my first bike and I've been looking into the Ninja 500R. However, some other folks have said things about it to try and dissuade me from getting it and I don't know if what they say is accurate.

Specifically, one person said that he would suggest I get the 500R because it wouldn't have enough "get up n' go" to really move me in that I weight nearly 220 lbs at 6' 1". Is that true or a complete load of bull?

I'm not looking to do 150 MPH on the freeway or do crazy tricks. I just want a decent bike that has enough power to really move but is easy to learn on.

Thanks for your help.
:D

·
Road Snot Needs A Kleenex
364 Posts
Well, the 500R is spec'd to do 0-60 in less than 4 seconds. I think the actual spec I found online said 3.6 seconds. Is that enough get up and go? It's only about 1 second slower than the ZX-10R's 0-60 time.

The 500R is one of the most powerful 500cc bike in it's class (54HP). Don't worry about the 500R. I'm 200lbs, and the bike moves me right along very nicely. Hell, it can move me and my friends girlfriend (about 400lbs total weight between 2 of us) with no problem at all.

In my honest opinion, the 500R is extremely underated, just like the 250R. Seems people don't look at them or give them respect because of their size. It is a great bike to learn on.

Oh, another reason to go with the 500R or the 250R, you won't pay sports bike insurance. If you have a chance to take one out for a spin.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Rob M said:
I'm looking into getting my first bike and I've been looking into the Ninja 500R. However, some other folks have said things about it to try and dissuade me from getting it and I don't know if what they say is accurate.

Specifically, one person said that he would suggest I get the 500R because it wouldn't have enough "get up n' go" to really move me in that I weight nearly 220 lbs at 6' 1". Is that true or a complete load of bull?
It's a complete load of bull. :wink:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts