Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bike was always a bit sluggish on cold / damp days. - Which is most of the time in ireland.....

Was running low on fuel and thought I'd buy the nice expensive stuff (the one thats supposed to be cleaner burning / higher octane / removing deposits etc.)

Filled her up, and carried on the 12 miles to work. Going home was no problem either (another 15 miles) - and even tho it was real cold and damp had no probs starting with the choke on.

Saturday morning was really really cold, -3c to -5c and even tho I cover the bike nightly I decide to start her and let her idle while she warmed up.

I wasnt able to let her warm up (some drama with the kids or something) and never got to ride the bike.

Sunday came and went. Sunday night again -3c. On monday morning I decided to go to work late (kid had a nativety play in school).
After I went to get ready for work, but I decided to check if the bike would start.

It wouldnt !!! Well it did but would run for only 2 seconds or so, then die (even with the choke) and if i tried to apply some throttle while it was running the bike died immediately.

On a couple of attempts the bike misfired badly.
Now when I try it wont fire up at all. It all sounds good, starter motor etc. Electrics seem fine, it just wont bloody ignite the petrol ?

My plan is to

a: drain the "expensive - good petrol" - drain the carbs, put in regular petrol and try.

b: change spark plugs and try

c: take it to a guy who will probably rip me off for doing something basic.

I'd be grateful for other suggestions.

I'm very annoyed tho :mad: , as I just spent over 500Euros on PPE - new lid / boots / wet gear etc. and have only used 'em a few times !!!

Thanks
Taz.

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
do the easy thing first. since you couldnt let the bike warm up and actually ride the bike and clean out the extra fuel then i would change the plugs and see what happens first.
i highly doubt its your fuel but you could drain it off into a jug to save, then put in the lesser gas and try again. if it starts then you have gas for the next tank.
also with it being so COLD and WET that recks havic on the mixture also. might be going WAYYYYYY lean being so cold and wet.
good luck

·
Registered
159 Posts
wont start In Ireland

Hi:
Just a thought. You may have picked up water in your fuel. Water will cause your engineto spit and pop and eventually stall the engine. High test should have made your bike start better in the cold and damp. You may now have a carbeurator bowl full of water. Just draining the tank wont empty the bowl. Dont crank the engine too much, you may cook the starter. Drain the tank and the carbeurator bowl. Rinse the tank out with alchohol and put in fresh, CLEAN fuel. Dampness is moisture. Keep your tank full so you dont let moisture build up in your tank. change gas stations. The station you purchased your fuel at may have water in his tanks. Be careful when working with fuel. Drop lights and flashlights can ignite fuel if dropped or broken. If you find water in the fuel tank, THROW THE FUEL AWAY. Good luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses, just to update ye, have drained the fuel (didnt burn myself :) thank jeebus) and the carbs (think i might have damaged the diaghram of carb #4 during an inspection - will check later in the week)

Have put in fresh petrol to no avail. bought a spark plug removal tool and removed the 2 easiest plugs (outer 2 - for the inner 2 I need to remove the coolant pipes first) both plugs look fouled but not overly fouled (black, but not caked in soot / dirt).

Hopefully tomorrow I will get a dry hour to remove all the plugs, clean the buggers and try start the little bi tch.

Keep ye posted.

Cheers !

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
Not to sound arrogant....but are you sure the kill switch is turned on?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tee heee heee. Am sure the kill switch is ok. When its off it doesnt even try to start (button does nothing). When its on, it does. It goes ch ch ch ch ch ch ch ch (or however you spell the noise of a bike trying to start :p )

Its cold today, but at the moment sunny and dry (pity I have to work)
Will be finishing early tho. Will pick up a wire brush for the dirty plugs on the way home.

Cheers,
Taz

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bike Wont Start

Well here is what happened.

Went out and bought me a nice new shiny socket set, and spanners and a wire brush.

Removed the tank (again) - Drained the coolant, removed the water pipes, took out the plugs. One of them was REALLY REALLY foul, 2 of 'em looked new and the other one looked dammed tired.

Decided to not bother cleaning them and popped off to the local store with a sample of the plug to try to get a matching one.

Couldn't get one. Will try the stores in town on Tuesday. Well I got the wire brush on em gave em a good scrubbing, popped them back in put the tank on turned on the fuel, waited a few seconds for the fuel to go where its supposed to go, tried to start her and on the 3rd attempt SUCCESS !!!!

Man I was so happy :) its been a week since I last rode her. I did me a little jig of joy. Put it all back together, (not even a single nut / bolt left over) and took her for a little spin.

Thanks to all for advising me and reading the posts. :wink:

And happy new year !!!
Taz

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
Good for you Taz!!!!

It's fun when it all comes together! :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good bike in ireland :)

well took the beastie for a small ride today, did about 20 miles. man she felt so good.

she will be idle tomorrow, and on tuesday driver her to work and i try to get new plugs, failing that i'll have to order them.

next week time for an oil change. what oil shoud i get ? 5w/20 ? appreciact your input.

night night !

1 - 12 of 12 Posts