Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 98 classic for a few years now and it always pulled to the right when I let go of the handlebars on a straight stretch of road. I never checked into it since it wasn't that bat and I am in the habit of keeping my hands on the handlebars for the most part. I finally started looking into it and I am at a loss.
I had the frame check and it is straight, the tires wear evenly, removed the Memphis shades windshield and still pulls. Replaced fork springs with progressive springs, changed fork oil, and still the same.
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
543 Posts
Who checked the frame? And did they check the steering head as well to see if it was in line with the rest of the frame? If your bike is pulling to one side or another, something is out of adjustment (i.e. rear wheel) or something is bent.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Who checked the frame? And did they check the steering head as well to see if it was in line with the rest of the frame? If your bike is pulling to one side or another, something is out of adjustment (i.e. rear wheel) or something is bent.
I had a local dealer check the frame, not sure if they checked the steering head, I'll call to find out.

Could the rear wheel be off centered and need to be shimmed to one side or another? Would shimming affect the drive shaft?

·
Kawabunga dudes!
230 Posts
I had a Suzuki Intruder 800 that pulled quite decidedly left. Amusingly, if I put two bricks in the right saddlebag, the pulling would lessen, but that was no long term solution.

I finally licked it when I pulled apart the swing arm to check and grease the bearings. The swing arm was fine, but one of the rear wheel bearings was dented and loose in its tracks. Two new wheel bearings later and no more pulling!

It may be worth checking your wheel bearings out.

Gary

·
PColaFl V2K LT
3,224 Posts
Rear wheel alignment. Or your leaning to the right. Or some part of you is heavier on the right. LOL

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Take your change out of your right pocket and put in your left pocket. Frame bent or rear swingarm bent or out of alignment. Rear tire out of alignment. Rear swingarm bushing or bearings worn. Front fork bent or adjusted uneven. Handle bar's bent to where your thing you are steering straight,but are not.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Dang, I was pulling to the left BUT found out Friday (well, I actually thought I knew this earlier) that my left side windshield brace was loose and bent about a quarter of an inch closer to the tripple tree. I tightened it up, bent it even and now my bike tracks straight.

But I see you've already checked that so you'll have to check all the rest of the stuff yourself. I'm worried the loose bolt allowed the constant flexing of the support to anneal though, it doesn't feel as stiff as the right side so I might have to do something with that. Time will tell.

·
Registered
326 Posts
My 1600 pulls right when I let go of the bars as well. I though it was normal and due the the weight of the exhaust on that side but after putting on lighter Cobra pipes it still does it. I guess I'm going to have to talk to my dealer. UGH!

·
Stale Milk Sniffer
92 Posts
Most roads are crowned and will make a vehicle want to veer to the right, at least in the US. Just a thought.

·
Registered
64 Posts
i have the same problem with going to the right when i let go, but as RdRnr mentioned, i think that is just how most roads are made, probably something with helping water run off so it doesnt pool up?

·
MadMac
246 Posts
You need to find a flat section of pavement that is not crowned and then see if it pulls to the right. Something like an airport runway should work nicely. I agree with RoadRunner about the crowning.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i have the same problem with going to the right when i let go, but as RdRnr mentioned, i think that is just how most roads are made, probably something with helping water run off so it doesnt pool up?
I know it's not the roads cause I rode my wife's Nomad on the same roads and it was perfectly straight. I decided to look into it when she rode my bike and complained that it pulls hard

·
Machinist For Sale/Rent
1,234 Posts
My 800 does this, some. If I have the chain aligned correctly it is worse. Makes you wonder, on mine any way if the engine shouldn't be move a little to the left of the bike so the wheels would be in line and parallel to each other. By tweaking the alignment some and moving the front of the rear wheel to the left a little it becomes almost unnoticeable, either lane of a 4 lane has same effect.

·
Long live the V2K!
593 Posts
You need to find a flat section of pavement that is not crowned and then see if it pulls to the right. Something like an airport runway should work nicely. I agree with RoadRunner about the crowning.
Actually alot of runways are crowned and grooved to get the water to run off. Standing water on runways and airplanes don't mix too well. We had a 767 run off the side of the runway one time because of standing water. The plane hydro-planed and it was all over. Coincidentally, that runwway was neither crowned or grooved!

·
Premium Member
4,767 Posts
My 1600 pulls right when I let go of the bars as well. I though it was normal and due the the weight of the exhaust on that side but after putting on lighter Cobra pipes it still does it. I guess I'm going to have to talk to my dealer. UGH!
Ditto. I have the same experience and thought the same thing.

My 900 leans to the right but that's just because i thought the weight of the pipes. The bike weighs 500 lbs and the pipes alone weigh 50 lbs. I thought that the pipes were the reason for the bike leaning/pulling to the right.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Ditto. I have the same experience and thought the same thing.

My 900 leans to the right but that's just because i thought the weight of the pipes. The bike weighs 500 lbs and the pipes alone weigh 50 lbs. I thought that the pipes were the reason for the bike leaning/pulling to the right.
Should get the looked at as well. My 900 will track straight as an arrow for as long as the road is straight. And here in ND that a [email protected] long way.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts