Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Live to Ride
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sad day this past Saturday. Before a winter storm came rolling in I put the bike away for the winter. The next day only got about 4 inches of snow, but they did sand and salt the streets.............so it was a good call to put her away. Stabilizer has been added and the oil has been changed. Ready for next year.

The local mountain will be opening within the next few days. Time to enjoy my winter passion. :swave:

·
Registered
543 Posts
Or you could put the ski's on the bike? Eh? :)

·
Workin' to ride
559 Posts
Sad day this past Saturday. Before a winter storm came rolling in I put the bike away for the winter. The next day only got about 4 inches of snow, but they did sand and salt the streets.............so it was a good call to put her away. Stabilizer has been added and the oil has been changed. Ready for next year.

The local mountain will be opening within the next few days. Time to enjoy my winter passion. :swave:
Take your battery out and put it on a tender?

·
Live to Ride
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the battery attached to the tender while still in the bike. Good to go.....or should I say stay.

·
Workin' to ride
559 Posts
I unhooked mine and put it on the bench before hooking it up to the charger. Just seemed like the right thing to do...Any opinions here on if it's safe to leave the battery hooked up to the bike and on the charger?

·
Old enough to know better
40 Posts
2thdr...

As long as it's a float charger (like a Battery Tender) you should be fine. I've left mine on all season long before, though it probably isn't necessary that way. The top wrench at the dealership where I bought the bike says it's more important to get the battery indoors, and away from freezing temps. Just top it off with the charger every few weeks. Don't know how severe the cold gets in Spokane, but if you're keeping the bike in an insulated garage it might be alright.

·
Workin' to ride
559 Posts
2thdr...

As long as it's a float charger (like a Battery Tender) you should be fine. I've left mine on all season long before, though it probably isn't necessary that way. The top wrench at the dealership where I bought the bike says it's more important to get the battery indoors, and away from freezing temps. Just top it off with the charger every few weeks. Don't know how severe the cold gets in Spokane, but if you're keeping the bike in an insulated garage it might be alright.
Thanks for that man. I bet you're freezing your butt off right now like we are...7 degrees F right now in Spokane. I do keep the bike in my accomodating girlfriend's garage. I glad she likes to ride!

·
The Bassman Rocketh
25,244 Posts
We got a few inches of snow here today... just gotta wait till it melts and the streets dry out before I can ride again

It sucks :(

·
just cruzin by!
1,398 Posts
Yes it does and the fact we are getting all rain today and then cold tonight.We got no snow in south KC. I imagine all the streets will have salt on them by this evening.I hate salted roads.The only salt I want to see is on the rim of my glass.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I unhooked mine and put it on the bench before hooking it up to the charger. Just seemed like the right thing to do...Any opinions here on if it's safe to leave the battery hooked up to the bike and on the charger?
Mine came with short leads so that you can just stick them out by the sidecover and plug her in....no battery removal necessary, and as far as the cold goes, I think if it has power going in on a slow charge, or "trickle charge" that should be good enough to keep it from freezing and causing any damage. We regularly get - 25 to -30( -13 to -22 F) weather around here and my bike\battery has survived in an unheated garage just fine. When we get a cold snap the thermometer can drop to the -35 to -40 range (-31 to -40 F) but that is usually only 2 or 3 weeks each year.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Sad day this past Saturday. Before a winter storm came rolling in I put the bike away for the winter.

I feel bad for you guys.

It was 82 degrees here and I was out riding in shorts and t-shirt today.

·
just cruzin by!
1,398 Posts
I took mine out and put it on the workbench also.It doesn't matter if you leave it in or take it out.I just wanted to put my seat back on and cover it up.Only take 2 minutes to get the battery hooked up and Im ready to ride!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts