Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got this 79 Kawasaki KZ750 LTD. Been sitting around 3 years to the best of my knowledge. Carbs have been cleaned and that is about it. I am going to change oil this weekend.....maybe tonight. I know quite a bit about automotive as far as greasing bearing, hubs, etc. but as far as this bike goes i could use some guidance. There must been some maintenance on the front and rear wheels to check/maintain.

I am sure the chain needs tightened, anyone give me a ball park measurement for slackness? Also the handlebars/steering assembly seem to be off center a bit (just noticed this morning while riding). Getting an air filter tomorrow. Put new brake fluid in but have not bled out the old stuff yet, tonight I will. Speedo and tach not working, have not looked yet.

Thanks to all who can help with a response.

Also bought new plugs, NGK BR9ES is what the dealer gave me(not kawi dealer) but on NGK web site they recommend a little hotter at 6. what kind of difference is this going to make? Also would premium grade fuel be me smartest choice? Nevermind I will be using premium.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Oil, carbs, plugs, chain. (1" slack or so) do a once over on the entire bike. Might wanna look at getting new tires too, 3 years of sitting has to cause some rot.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Watch the tires close though. look for the slightest sign of developing cracks on the sidewalls and then replace when they appear.

don't screw around on old tires. Signs

·
Registered
456 Posts
It's good that you cleaned the carbs. That was probably the most important maintenance item to do to get the bike running. If it still won't start, try fresh gas. If it's running already, just use up what's in the tank, and it will run better on the next tank. I doubt you need premium fuel.

Get yourself a Haynes or Clymer or Kawasaki service manual. Then do everything it says for regular maintenance. Do a little every weekend, and your bike will be happy as a clam at high tide.

And like woundwort said, watch for cracks on the sidewalls of those tires. I don't mind running old tires on a trailer, but it's too dangerous on a motorcycle. If you don't see any cracks, and your tread is good, then three year old tires are okay. But if you see any cracks, or if you see any funny patterns on the tread, then it's time to change them. Storing a bike outside makes the tires deteriorate faster.
Curt

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks curt, Bike is running good. I have been taking it out every morning and evening after work since I got it going. I will take a good inspection of tires. You are definately right about not wanting to run shitty tires. Little different on a car. I have been kinda looking for a manual, but have read and found it is hard to find one for a 1979 Kawasaki 750 twin.

Anyways thanks for the info.

·
Registered
605 Posts
If you've got extra money then just replace the tires, anyone's life is more important than 200-300 dollars.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ya I am getting a front one ASAP, and the rear one has small weather checks in it but I am confident it can wait. Unless I can find a smokin deal on one ar a pair.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts