Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Kawasaki Vulcan 800A and the bike runs very well most of the time. It has Cobra Drag pipes and a re - jetted carburetor. If the bike gets turned off (even for just a couple of minutes when fully warmed up) it will stall out whenever you try to engage the clutch in first gear. The engine runs fine, but it stalls out two or three times before being perfectly fine. After that the bike will operate normally.

Any suggestions?

Thanks! - Matt

·
Registered
85 Posts
possible issues with kickstand switch? weak kickstand spring? neutral light issues? All those safety switches can be a real gotcha...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
possible issues with kickstand switch? weak kickstand spring? neutral light issues? All those safety switches can be a real gotcha...
Would those issues go away once the bike has moved at least once? It doesn't do it any other time than when it has just been turned on.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Are you saying you can put it in gear, but as soon as you start letting out the clutch lever, it stalls? if so, that is classic kickstand switch issue.
switch contacts may be dirty or corroded, kickstand pivot bolt may be worn to where it is causing intermittent switch issues, hard to tell from here. Maybe after current runs through it for a bit it clears, the stalls bounce the kickstand, starts working again? spray all the switches with WD40 or equivalent stuff, work the switches, verify the kickstand is retracting fully and activating/deactivating the switch. support the bike, put a meter across the switch, work the kickstand, see if it's intermittent or triggering just as the stand is fully retracted. a worn, weak spring can let the stand sag and trigger it.. (intermittent cutting out over bumps...) I vaguely remember having to replace my 800A pivot bolt. break the locknut on the bottom side loose 1st ,,,

look up the penny trick for putting the spring back on...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts