Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NINJA EX500, had my carbs cleaned and resync'd by a certified mechanic.

When I tried to turn it on it would crank but won't start.

I hear some puffs coming out of the exhaust but it won't start and eventually my battery dies down, anyone know the problem?

Called him up and he said the carbs are 100%, he cleaned them resync'd them and adjusted the idle to factory settings, and to try and unscrew the float bowl? to see if fuel comes out.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pull the plugs and see if you've flooded it.
The spark plugs? Silly question but where are they located?

Here's something worth reading - it might save your poor ole' battery: Dan's MC - Planning Your Repair .

What year is the bike? How long have you had it? Was it running before the carb work? Do you have a service manual? There should be a way to check the fuel level in the carburetors. Is it a good battery? (an old battery may not be able to handle the abuse) Do you have a battery trickle charger & battery tester? Correct spark plugs & properly gapped? You can pull the plugs to see if they're wet w fuel. Good air filter & properly installed? Airbox inlet not blocked w a shop cloth or anything? (I've done the handkerchief in the airbox before - doh).
2002, couple of days, yes it was but then it died out on me the next day wouldn't idle without choke, no i don't have the service manual. just bought a new battery couple days ago.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Service manuals are a big help. Takes two... "1994-2009 Ninja 500/GPZ500S" and "85-90 EN400/EN450".

I'd check for a strong spark before messing with plugs. With the choke it does sound fuel related, but weirder things have happened.

Yours is probably the same as mine?... This from memory (and my memory is not so good)...

Remove the seat.
Remove the rubber drain hose from the back of the tank.
Remove the bolt on the back of the tank.
From each side, remove the screw from the upper fairing that goes into a tank bracket. Slide the fairing sides out a little.
Remove the screws in the rear fairing that are about where your ankle would be. If you wiggle the forward edge of the rear fairing you will see a post thru a grommet in the tank. Take a screw driver and gently wiggle the post out of the gromet from behind.
Make sure fuel petcock is off.
Lift the tank a little from the back and remove the vacuum and fuel hoses from the petcock. You'll want a rag to catch gas.
Lift the back of the tank and slide the tank back out of the front holder.
You can now see the plugs, but you will need to remove the air hoses that pass over the plugs and to put a wrench on the plugs you'll need to remove the piece that the hose clamps on to (2 small bolts).

Sounds like a lot of work, but it is pretty easy. Maybe an hour the first time you do it but after you've been in there a few times very quick.

Brian

·
itching to ride
2,238 Posts
NINJA EX500, had my carbs cleaned and resync'd by a certified mechanic.

When I tried to turn it on it would crank but won't start.

I hear some puffs coming out of the exhaust but it won't start and eventually my battery dies down, anyone know the problem?

Called him up and he said the carbs are 100%, he cleaned them resync'd them and adjusted the idle to factory settings, and to try and unscrew the float bowl? to see if fuel comes out.
Sounds like it was running for the mechanic. Make sure you are getting spark. You may have knocked a wire loose or some other simple thing. Try turning the petcock to prime if you have not done so.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Ours are simple bikes... :) no prime. Just "On", "Off", and "Reserve". Not sure what to do if I ever got empty bowls? Maybe it generates enough vacuum while it is cranking to open the valve?

Brian

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just brought the carb over to the mechanic and he sync'd and cleaned it. Didn't have the actual bike over there.

I'd check the spark plugs but my brother said it might be the alternator, might not be running because the battery would die down but i don't think it's it.

·
itching to ride
2,238 Posts
Ours are simple bikes... :) no prime. Just "On", "Off", and "Reserve". Not sure what to do if I ever got empty bowls? Maybe it generates enough vacuum while it is cranking to open the valve?

Brian
Sounds like yours is the old type so why would it have a vacuum?

I just brought the carb over to the mechanic and he sync'd and cleaned it. Didn't have the actual bike over there.

I'd check the spark plugs but my brother said it might be the alternator, might not be running because the battery would die down but i don't think it's it.
You said he adjusted the idle and synched the carbs which cannot be done from a bench but must be on a running bike to do it properly. Now you can bench sync the slides but that only gets you in the ball park.

·
Registered
264 Posts
If the battery is good (you said it is new. Was the battery charged? After adding the acid they have to be charged), and charged to begin with, a bad alternator will not exhibit your symptoms.

Maybe an exact summary of the time line might help? State why the carbs were removed in the first place. You installed the carbs and it ran perfect (?) for two days. Then it stopped while you were riding (or when you went to start it?) And at some point before/after the starting issue you installed a new battery.

Have you checked for spark? The vacuum hoses are attached? Boots in good condition? All other vacuum hoses in place?

Brian

·
This space for rent
687 Posts
"What year is the bike?"

"How long have you had it?"

couple of days

"Was it running before the carb work?"

yes it was but then it died out on me the next day wouldn't idle without choke,

"Do you have a service manual?"

no i don't have the service manual.
just bought a new battery couple days ago.

Makes it easier to read.

Simple things often overlooked:

Got enough gas in the tank?
Petcock turned on?
Run/Stop switch in "Run" position?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got it up and running. Apparently for the two days that I've been trying to start it with an unclean carb it ran the battery dry. And yes it did run the first day without charing the battery after I put it in.

·
itching to ride
2,238 Posts
Yes the new battery will have juice enough to start it most times unless your bike is hard to start. However you should charge the battery fully before use. I recently bought a new battery and this is the first one I actually charged beforehand, but I knew it would need all the available juice since I would be trouble shooting and would crank on it a bunch. It took a couple hours to reach fully charged state.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.