Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
A very distinct possibility.

The little hole in the gas filler cap lets air into the tank as gas flows out through the fuel tap to the carburators. If the hole is plugged a vacuum is created which eventually is strong enough to severly restrict the flow of gas or stop it all together. It is easy to check. The next time the engine stops for no apparent reason open the fuel cap and promptly close it. Then attempt to start the bike. If it starts right up then the air vent is suspect.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
thanks, I will do that. I already cleaned the fuse holders with contact cleaner, now I am about to change the junction box, I will make sure I will clean the new one.
Hi I had this problem on ZZR 1100 D5 traced to earth bolt on starter solenoid all furred up due to steel aluminium corrosion cleaned up applied Vaseline and had no further problem when breakdown occurred it would only start with a bump hope this is of use.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
All corrosion has to be cleaned. Buy a tube of "Di-electric" lube, grease, whatever, and hit all those parts with it. It does not allow electrons to flow on the outside, and prevents corrosion from dissimilar metals. The fact that your bike started makes me think that a "Lawyer" switch somewhere is faulty, or pinched in that head light housing. Untangle the mess in the headlight housing and inspect every connection and wire for loose connections, or wires that have slices in them. To be honest, it sounds like something not major, but that has catastrophic consequences when it acts up.

I was test riding a friend's XS1100 that he had just had tuned up. The guy adjusted the valves and drained all the fluids. What I didn't know, and apparently nobody else, was the middle transfer case for the drive shaft has a separate fill hole. I assumed that the guy knew how to change the fluids, you know what what they say about "assume" ("ass/u/me") The rear wheel seized up on the Saw Mill Expressway , I was doing around 110 mph, and locked up so bad, the tire fattened out. That's why you always need the "Factory Service Manual".

The Sheriff that pulled over was a real jerk. He asked me how fast I was going, I told him I didn't know, he said "That's one long skid", I said, "That's what happens when a wheel seizes". Karma is a funny thing, as he was facing me, I noticed his car was on fire. I kept saying "Officer", he kept cutting me off, then I finally yelled, "Dude, your care is on fire!!". He turns around, the catalytic converter had sparked a fire in the tall hay like grass he was on, flames licking up the doors and sides (I might have waited a bit before I told him). He was able to move the car, but the sides were blackened. I had a good laugh about it. He didn't. He seemed very angry at me. He could not ticket me, all he could do was call a tow truck for me, of which I thanked him gratefully for...... :)

21 - 23 of 23 Posts