Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the middle to the top of 5th gear my bike starts to shake or wobble very baddly, you can't feel it at all unless you are going this fast.

Any idea what/where to look for this issue so i can fix it.

·
Hey, lemme ride your bike
1,975 Posts
unbalanced wheels, wheel bearings, tire pressure

which tires and what surface??

·
Another old dirt bike guy
566 Posts
Sounds like high speed wobble (tank slapper), check the neck bearings for condition and proper adjustment.

Also, try moving the forks tubes down in the tripple clamps about 4mm (raising the front of the bike up), the bike will turn slower but will be more stable at speed.

This is most certainly a front end problem with bearings or fork height adjustment, IMO.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Sounds like high speed wobble (tank slapper), check the neck bearings for condition and proper adjustment.

Also, try moving the forks tubes down in the tripple clamps about 4mm (raising the front of the bike up), the bike will turn slower but will be more stable at speed.

This is most certainly a front end problem with bearings or fork height adjustment, IMO.
yea i was thinking the same thing on the fork tubes, i get slappers alot where i ride (rutted up hard clay)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
unbalanced wheels, wheel bearings, tire pressure

which tires and what surface??
Not sure what tires, but it's regular dirt bike tires on smooth pavement.

However i have felt the same thing on the trails i frequent, i just though back then it was the trail but now i realize it's not. (once topping it out on the street)

It does look like the rear rim might not be perfectly balanced.

Are there any tricks or methods i could use to test for imperfections in the rear rim.

·
Registered
59 Posts
could be a swing arm bearing or bushing. you lay it down alot? could even be spokes could be the steering stem. pull the tubes, triple trees, everything check the two bearings in there as well. and align the final drive to the wheel. chk the engine mounts. what else take that, to a nice friend with some tools, and a six pack and should take but more than a day.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Not sure what tires, but it's regular dirt bike tires on smooth pavement.

However i have felt the same thing on the trails i frequent, i just though back then it was the trail but now i realize it's not. (once topping it out on the street)

It does look like the rear rim might not be perfectly balanced.

Are there any tricks or methods i could use to test for imperfections in the rear rim.
it's not the tire that needs to be balanced is it. like trued? the spokes need R&R then torquing every so often (2-10 miles depending. on how you ride and on what) , or are you talking about aligned with the final drive? if it's the latter, just put the rim on, put on the chain and almost buttoned up start tightening the adj screws and set your chain slack. get the manual for the best results. then just get behind it and roll the wheel if you can eye it ok, it's ok. make sure to torque everything down without overtightening.

·
Registered
59 Posts
that reminds me too, check the rim locks make sure the tube is set in there and the rim lock isn't showing when you air it back up.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it's not the tire that needs to be balanced is it. like trued? the spokes need R&R then torquing every so often (2-10 miles depending. on how you ride and on what) , or are you talking about aligned with the final drive? if it's the latter, just put the rim on, put on the chain and almost buttoned up start tightening the adj screws and set your chain slack. get the manual for the best results. then just get behind it and roll the wheel if you can eye it ok, it's ok. make sure to torque everything down without overtightening.
No i am thinking it's the rear rim that isn't a true perfect circle, it really feels like it's coming from the back end.

·
Registered
59 Posts
get yourself a truing stand and some new spokes. i'd do it for you if you came to phx, the stand is only like 60 bucks and it doubles as a tire balancer, a "torquing" spoke wrench, and a whole lotta patience. good luck. my flat rate would be more than just getting a new rim. maybe.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts